New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I let my youngest go on a date with a young man in a convertable Miatta sportscar, tonight. After I introduced him to my rifle and waterboard room, and I determined that he was sober and sufficiently scared of me. Well... 20 minutes later I get a call that a drunk driver hit them, and my daughter was being put into an ambulance. So, I grabbed an open tin of Escudo and the pipe closest to me, and made it to the scene in time to leave the car with my wife and jump into the ambulance with my daughter. She had shattered her arm.

The drivers had me go through security to meet them at the room. So, I emptied my pockets into the basket before walking through the metal detectors; keys, cell phone, lighter, and the policeman's eyes lit upon my 18k gold tamp with opals and sapphires that I had made. He explained to me that it was "pokey" and could be used as a weapon. I had riden in the ambulance, with no one to gove my tamp to, so... he was forced to through it away. :::sigh::: My heart sank. I know, I know, I had to go be with her immediately, and I guess it was an expencive price... But, damn, like I was going to take hostages with an 18k gold tamp that wouldn't cut butter.

So, they are taking her into surgery tonight. The upper arm is broken in several pieces and it may be a long night, but at least everyone in the hospital is safe from my handmade tamper. Idiots. But, my wonderful wife jist walked in with my pipe and tin of Escudo. So, I may take a break outside in a minute to smoke and use my finger to tamp.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Security at a hospital?! Good Lord, where is that hospital at, Alcatraz? Hope all is well with your daughter.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
So sorry to hear about your daughter's mishap. Hope all is well and in the end they return your sinister tamper. Best wishes to you and your family through this difficult moment.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Glad your daughter's alive; hope the surgery goes well. Prayers to you and your family.
(While we're at it, fuck the jerk who took your tamper. That's just ridiculous ... and not completely above suspicion. Weapon, my ass ... )

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Well, that must have been a stomach churning dip on the roller coaster called parenthood. My best wishes towards your daughter's swift recovery.
I've worked at a number of hospitals but never one with metal detectors. We have had staff members attacked in the emergency department so may it won't be long until I see them. Once a patient threw a knife at a pharmacist. Luckily the handle part hit her and not the pointy end.

Thanks guys! Childrens Hospitals are over-the-top with security, and they treat parents like crap, even the doctors. Yeh, I wanted to say that my tamp was no more pokey than my car keys, but I really didn't want him to throw my keys away.

They are finally setting her arm. I am not taking the waiting room furniture well with my own sciatica, but I am damn sure glad everyone is alive. That Miatta looked like a crumpled skateboard. The wife had been talking about getting one... but not now.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Glad to hear things are looking up! If it was me, I would have walked back out the hospital and tossed the taper on the ground in an obscure place and pressed it into the dirt. Chances are it would still be there when I left the hospital. Some security official is probably home right now showing off his new "prize"
Actually, If it was me I probably would have been arrested. I don't handle bullshit to well! You should go back and see if you can reclaim your tamper.

If I had been thinking clearly, I would have took it outside, put it in my pocket, and walked through the metal detector, since gold wont set them off. But, I was in panic mode. I asked a nurse if she could ask the officer for me, but everyone here is an asshole. She looked at me like I had just asked her to wear a bomb vest.

I've been here for everything from apendix withmy oldest to burns and regular bone breaks. They always treat everyone like crap, but her pediatrician always send us there.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Throw it away??? 8O Wouldn´t they keep it for you until you left the hospital? Oh well, America is a strange place, you may carry guns but they get the heeby jeebies from a tamper... :roll:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Very sorry to hear about your daughter, but I'm glad things weren't worse. As to your tamper, my guess is that the security guard didn't get the holiday bonus that he thought he deserved and you inadvertently supplied the balance.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Oh my. So glad your daughter will be ok and is in good care.
Your tamper while valuable is not irreplaceable.. You just make another.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Sorry to hear about your girl! I hope all goes well and smooth and for a Quick recovery

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
"Oh my. So glad your daughter will be ok and is in good care.
Your tamper while valuable is not irreplaceable.. You just make another. "
I second all the above and would like to suggest getting LoJack for the replacement.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Cosmic, that's terrible news and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope everything goes smoothly with the surgery and that your daughter is out of that god awful hospital that stole your tamper soon. I know they'll take care of your daughter, but it shouldn't be at the added expense of your pipe tamper. I encourage you to speak with someone about getting it back.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Hope your daughter is doing better.
I would file a police report for the theft of the tamper since it's 18k gold and gemstones. He didn't take it because he was dangerous, he took it because it was shiny and looked valuable.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Mike I m wishing her a speedy recovery, as a parent heart in throat I bet. I rarely get off the Farm, one day the New DA called me and wanted info about my old Nemis the Sherriff. I changed into acceptable clothes, clipped my knife to my pocket. Walking thru the Court House side entrance I saw 2 Sherriff Deputies at the metal detector. First one said You can't have that here, I said ok I'll put it in the basket and come back for it, No No said the deputy we won't hold it we"ll throw it outside. Stunned at such ignorance I turned and walked out. Being an old man I didn't want to walk back to my truck as I had parked far as Court Was in session and no parking spaces. I entered a Surveyors office and asked the head Lady if she could hold my knife while zi talked to the DA, my knife was a Zero Tolerence gave to me by my son and very expensive. She himmed and hawed and when I threw for 50$ on the counter so she could buy the office crew lunch she said ok. Went and talked to DA, 6 months later they hung an Ethics Vilotion on him for buying a house at his own Sherriffs sale , a No No. I gotta stay on the Farm more.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Jeepers. Hope she is back up and about right quick.
The tampers a small price to pay. Use it as an excuse to make one inspired by the evening (i.e. all about your girl)

Status
Not open for further replies.