Secondary Sugar Qualities In Curing (Mainly Honey)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Sugar is an important consideration for those making tobacco into something to be smoked. Many different sugars are available to choose from. Like anything it can be something that can be tweaked to create a unique effect.

Honey has long been known to contain valuable properties other than simply as a sweetening agent. While I do not want to list them all here, I will make a short point.

Bees concentrate the nectar from flowers, evaporate the water and thereby make honey. Wild honey is usually a mixture of different plants, but can be from a single plant in bloom, if that is the only flowering plant in an area that the bees are working. Plants themselves are known to have different medicinal and other effects. Bee honey of a single plant species is just the concentrated nectar of that plant, mixed with some beeness, and is also often holding the same medicinal properties of that plant.

Today we are able to source varietal/gourmet honeys from all over the globe and have it delivered to our door. In addition to the different flavor profiles, we may also be adding some other characteristics to our smoke, if we should choose to use it in our tobacco curing or flavoring process.

Some Honeys I am considering for next years crop: Leatherwood Honey from Tasmania, Star Thistle Honey from Colorado, Black Sage Honey from California.

I wonder if we could get Tobacco Honey?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I wonder if we could get Tobacco Honey?
Tobacco plants are topped to keep them from blooming so as to force the plant to put more "effort" into the remaining leaves.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some one does! Several companies offer 20+ varieties of seeds. Must be some bee keepers nearby as well. (Do the plants need pollination or are they self pollinating?)
smoking-fox.gif

[Image from thetobaccoseed.com]

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
As a bee keeper and tobacco grower for 20+ years I can tell you bees rarely work tobacco plants. You will see a few of them here and there but you will never get enough bees to produce a single source tobacco honey.
Tobacco honey is self pollinating but it can be cross pollinated by visiting insects.
Turkish tobacco is not topped so there would be an abundance of flowers for the bees but they just don't source tobacco plants.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
It may be because there is some nicotine in the nectar. Bees must have a good sense of moderation when it comes to tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.