PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
I have almost finished the shaping of my second pipe. Since the beginning I planned to make it a "sitter" with a flat bottom, and I am almost 100% sure that its going to end up like that, but I would just need some opinions from you if this is the right choice? I kind of like the bottom being flat to correspond with the mount for the shank. Or should I make the bottom rounded? The stem is going to be bent in the end. Also, does anyone know how to treat the top properly, I would like the natural structure to be there, but polished. How do i get this effect?
Thanks!
freehand.jpg

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
This a very beautiful pipe and I think your design works really well. I think that rounding the bottom would take something way from the pipe. Not just a uniqueness but the way the lines flow. Good Job. :clap:

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings,
Being a pipe maker myself for 30-some years, I am in no way an expert, as I'm always learning something new with each pipe I make. One thing I've have learned is, don't be afraid to remove enough wood to refine the shape.
I realize you probably paid a substantial sum for your block of briar (the grain shows it), but don't fall into the trap of "getting your money's worth" by preserving as much wood as possible. This will result in a "clunky", overly large and heavy pipe. Accept the fact that 50% or more of the block will most likely be scrap.
What I see in your photos is a good start suggesting a basic shape. Keep going. Slowly remove wood to reveal a more delicate, graceful, organic shape. Sometimes I'll set a pipe aside for several weeks, not even looking at it. Then I'll view it with a fresh perspective. I will invariably see something that can be improved, an angle or curve that I didn't see before. There always seems to be more wood to remove to sharpen and define the shape.
I've even re-shaped and re-finished pipes I've smoked for some time. After a while I see where it can be improved, and back to the bench it goes. I have a few pipes I've re-done 3 times! Such is the pursuit of perfection.
Study the pipes made by the "masters" - Rad Davis, Will Purdy, Bruce Weaver, to name three. Also, look at some of the Russian carvers work. Look closely at their creations. Notice what's there, and what's NOT there. See how much wood remains and what they take away.
I hope I didn't offend. Just trying to help. :)
Keep going and always strive to improve. We should never stop learning.
CACooper

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I like the overall shape too. I have a Bjarne that has an almost hourglass shape between the bowl and flat bottom, and you have plenty of briar there to try it, which may also lighten it up some weight wise. But the shape and style you have going on is great!

damien83

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2011
That pipe is just awesome, the shape is great. Can't wait to see the pic's of the finished pipe!!!!

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Thank you all for the kind comments! And cacooper for the advises, all of them are needed. The pipe isn't that large actually, it's carved from a $30 pre drilled block, but I think I was a bit fortunate with the grain. I will not have time to work on it in the coming days so that's a good way to get a bit of perspective and see it with fresh eyes when I continue. I will post an update of the finished pipe when I decided what to do. Thanks again for all the comments and advices

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
No one answered his question as to how he can polish up the top without hurting the natural structure...?

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Taper the bottom and remove more wood at the stem area so your thumb can rest there , try to leave the top alone . Damn fine work . :puffpipe:

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
To keep the top intact the first important step is too make sure and remove all the bark from the plateaux. This can be accomplished with a soft wire brush, or light touch with a brass wire wheel. Then I do a couple different types of things with mine. You can stain it a darker color than the pipe (This makes any discoloring from lighting or slight tar buildup unnoticeable.) or you can just buff it with carnuba as you would the rest of the pipe. When I do this I make sure and turn the pipe at angles so that I can get the wax down around the knobs. Use the carnuba very sparingly and then buff after with a clean wheel. You can put a couple coats on it, but as said, load the wheel sparingly.
I know you didn't really ask for any critique on the pipe itself, but the one thing that stands out to me is that the stem is at a slightly different angle than the shank. If it were me, I'd cut the area between the shank and the bowl a bit deeper and try to follow the angle of the stem itself. You then may be able to do the same on the bottom side, just slightly, and make the stem line up better with the angle of the shank.
Other than that, I love the pipes shape and the direction your going with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.