PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremychoate

Lurker
Mar 26, 2018
Alpharetta, GA
Hey everyone!
Just curious if any of you folks choose your blends based on the weather/season. I've often heard smokers say, for example, that when the weather starts to cool off (fall/winter approaching) their tastes change to something a bit more latakia-forward, reminiscent of a campfire. When the holidays are approaching, they may find themselves craving aromatics.
Would any of you say that with summer approaching, and the weather getting hotter, that you find yourself gravitating towards milder blends?
What say you?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
It's definitely a personal thing and everyone is different. As for me, I smoke any blend regardless of the season. Even Latakia blends taste the same to me regardless of the time of year.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
This isn't the question you asked, but I really am a seasonal smoker. I don't smoke during winter, because I smoke outside and I hate being cold! Spent a good part of this last winter in Cheyenne, Wyoming. No thanks.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I am in FL. Some days (like today) it is hot as hell. I don’t change my tobacco choices with the seasons. I probably vary more due to the time of day.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not really. I just smoke what's interesting at the time. Smoked Balkan Supreme a while ago while mowing, now I'm smoking 1792.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Welcome aboard! I'm basically a spur of the moment type of piper. I go to my cellar and look over everything and pick what sounds good at the time. I like some variety no matter what time of the year.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I pretty much smoke anything I want any time of year but I do especially enjoy a stout English blend when it’s cold outside, the colder it gets the heavier the Lat I like in a blend blend. I smoke Condor and St. Bruno daily but they also seem to have a magical period in spring and autumn. When it’s hot and humid outside, an English blend just doesn’t sound appealing, even though I smoke indoors these days, the ambient temperature definitely affects the type of blend that I crave.
This isn't the question you asked, but I really am a seasonal smoker. I don't smoke during winter, because I smoke outside and I hate being cold! Spent a good part of this last winter in Cheyenne, Wyoming. No thanks.

I just finished watching Longmire, lol. The first three seasons were hard to get through but once Netflix took over, it got really good. Curious how accurate that show depicts Cheyenne? Have you seen it?

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I just finished watching Longmire, lol. The first three seasons were hard to get through but once Netflix took over, it got really good. Curious how accurate that show depicts Cheyenne? Have you seen it?
I don't think I've heard of it, actually. The important thing to remember is that Cheyenne is stupid cold and stupid windy! I'm from Iowa, but yikes

Mar 29, 2016
Latakia mixtures mostly in the Fall and Winter. Virginias and Va/Pers in the Summer and on sunny days, cigars in the Summer only. I only smoke outdoors and the Canadian weather is legendary so it helps a lot with my tobacco consumption. :D

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
I smoke mostly VAPERS and VAs year round, but will smoke Balkans and English blends in the New England winters. As they say, the first six weeks of winter are pretty scenic. It's the last 4 months that will kill you.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
spring, fall and winter are when I smoke most of my English blends. Summer time is spent with Virginia’s, vapers and burleys. Actually I enjoy burley year round.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Huh, maybe I'm the odd man out here. I'm in New England, and I lean more towards the aromatics in the colder months. The sweet smells remind me of the warmth of holidays and old times.
In the spring and summer, I kind of feel like there's already enough sweet flowers and blooms in the air, and non-aromatics and English blends appeal to me more.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Whilst it's not a hard and fast rule, I do prefer to smoke English blends in colder weather and Virginia blends in the warmer months.
Whilst I don't often smoke floral lake lands I can only enjoy them when it's warm and sunny.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Yes, never smoke latakia blends during summer.

Maybe something very light on latakia like Presbyterian but otherwise no.
Kentucky smokiness works well though.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"Winter, Spring, Summer or Fa-alll,

All ya hafta do is ca-alll...." *
English and Balkans year round, morning, noon and night. (Don't know if there's also a song with those words.....)
* Jas. Taylor and many others.

Aug 1, 2012
The important thing to remember is that Cheyenne is stupid cold and stupid windy!
Hah! you think that's bad, go a little west and spend some time in Laramie. No less windy and at least every 2-3 years we set the coldest temp in the US around Feb/Mar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always think I'm going to do this, smoke Va and Va/Pers in the summer and big English and Balkan Blends and burleys in the cold months, but I don't do it. I'm all over the place all the time. Either, I'm not disciplined enough to stick to the program, or I just like variety year 'round. I'll claim the second explanation. Some summer nights just require full-strength flavor. Some cold weather demands the clarity of a crisp Va/Per. For me.

jeremychoate

Lurker
Mar 26, 2018
Alpharetta, GA
Great answers, everyone! Thanks for participating!
My tastes typically don't change with the seasons, either. Just this week, it's been in the 90's in Georgia, and I've smoked a VaPer, a light English, and an aromatic. I do find myself, like hawky454, craving a heavier lat blend as the weather gets colder.
Happy smoking!!

Status
Not open for further replies.