PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Maybe I am missing something here but why would people buy sealed tins of commercially available brands just because they were made 18 months ago. I am sure the taste of squadron Leader has not changed or improved in the last 18 months. I can understand buying something that is 10+ years old or older providing the tin is sealed and there is no movement when you shake the tin. I can even understand it if it is no longer commercially made but one year old tins of tobacco I just don't see. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
It's a year ahead of whatever you buy right now. The prices I've seen them go for aren't too bad, just a tad more than current pricing in a B&M. That being said, I'll buy two or three tins for the same price and just wait it out myself.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Disposable income, brother. If I had more of it, I'd give the cellar age a boost with it. I've put over $100 worth of new tobacco in it that I can't even smoke.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I think that some people see that a tin is on eBay and immediately think it must be scarce, otherwise, why would someone have posted up a tin, that in all likelihood has no more age than what is on the shelf at your local B&M. I agree with you, that if the tobacco has been discontinued or if it has some significant age 10+ years, then maybe you gamble on a tin, but I think that buying tins that are still relatively easy to get with one or two years age on them is....shall we say, for those who have more money than sense!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I'm guilty of paying above retail for a tin that has a few years of age on it, especially if its something I have not tried before. In a few cases maybe double retail for a tin that has a few years on it, but that is about my limit.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I am sure the taste of squadron Leader has not changed or improved in the last 18 months
Perhaps this is your experience, but it is not mine, so I will continue to pay slightly above market for 1-2 year old tins because to me they taste better, even English blends.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm content to let the stuff age. But if I wanted to gamble on someone else actually cellaring that mystery tin properly and wanted to do an A-B comparison, I would buy an aged tin. However, the huge sums spent on superannuated tobaccos from your fathers' yesteryear are fad and the power of suggestion. Tobacco peaks and fades. With this 30-50 year old stuff you're pretty much smoking ghosts and shadows with your imagination filling in what ain't there.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
With this 30-50 year old stuff you're pretty much smoking ghosts and shadows with your imagination filling in what ain't there.

Is your opinion based on direct experience of tasting numerous 30-50 year old tins ? I have no informed opinion on this as the oldest tobacco I have smoked was about 22 years old and I thought it was wonderful.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@sablebrush52 I think you are probably right. Some of the Balkan Sobranie stuff in the ring pull tins from the 1980s is probably OK as its probably preserved like MRE's. I have had very old stuff from the 1920s but I have nothing to compare it with so I couldn't tell you if its good or not. I gave a good friend on the forum a tin of old BS and a new BS (Balkan Sobranie) and I even opened a tin of the new incarnation and it seemed OK to me. I guess its a matter of taste and with my prodigious consumption of Condor its hardly worth cellaring.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Is your opinion based on direct experience of tasting numerous 30-50 year old tins ? I have no informed opinion on this as the oldest tobacco I have smoked was about 22 years old and I thought it was wonderful.
Yes, it is, unless by numerous, you mean hundreds, then no. But a couple of dozen. What I have noticed is that the individual flavors of the constituent tobaccos have merged into a single flavor, and that that flavor can be very faint. If the tobacco sits out for any length of time, the remnant fades even more.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
A couple dozen is a pretty valid sample set in my book. If you had said one or two I would be squirming in my seat. Were there any that you thought were worth it ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
They weren't bad, per se, just faint. A couple were rather flat almost like smoking cardboard. Nothing that I would go out of my way to spend money on. I don't believe that this stuff was intended to sit around for years and years. When I was smoking 35-40 years ago, I never heard of anyone aging their tobacco. You bought it and you smoked it. It wasn't like there was a supply problem back then, or a shortage of good tobacconists from which to buy more.

Same with cigars. I've enjoyed some very tasty cigars with 20 or so years on them. But the few Pre-Castro cigars that I've been given over the years have been, let me say in the kindest possible terms, crap.

Wines, which are meant to be aged, peak. And then they fade...fade...fade. Every now and then you do run into a Dorian Gray, but that's the exception, not the rule.

With the exception of fortified wines, which can mellow for decades, it seems that 30 years is the upper limit for aging, with most things starting to go poof earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.