PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just received my new Scottie pipe today and I couldn't be more satisfied. Her Scottie line is based on the classic clay pipe shapes. The shaping of this pipe is classic and clean.
This particular pipe represents something new for Scottie, a presentation cased set with an assortment of stems in different colors. This is her first such set.
I wanted a narrow long chamber, with thick walls, for flakes and cakes.
C5Jl15a.jpg

ARgfsSP.jpg

BlGiGGk.jpg

4jiMeTy.jpg

3Bu1eT1.jpg

The pipe smokes very well. The stem work is top of the mark. I like how Scottie gradually opens the airway over the final inch to spread the smoke and avoid tongue bite. Draw is open and easy.
Scottie made the process of commissioning this pipe a complete pleasure, and I can't recommend her pipes highly enough.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That is cool! Don't think I've ever seen a pipe come with four stems! I like the pencil shank but it sure looks fragile!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Way cool. I haven't handled one before, but I love the look of her pipes. Got a favorite color, yet?

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Sable-

That is one of the most elegant pipes I've seen! I really like it with the classic black stem.

Looks like the perfect flake pipe!! Enjoy.......

What's the total length? Looks to be 6-1/2 - 7 inches??

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What's the total length? Looks to be 6-1/2 - 7 inches??
Excellent eye! The length is 6 3/4 inches.
Got a favorite color, yet?
My favorite, for the moment, is the amber stem.
I like the pencil shank but it sure looks fragile!
Scottie runs a metal tube through the length of the stem to add structural strength.
Thanks for your comments!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Scottie runs a metal tube through the length of the stem to add structural strength."
Makes sense. Looks delicate, but looks are deceiving. Learned something new once again. Great, fantastic pipe. Good for you.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've watched her work over the past few years on the BrothersOfBriar forum. She nails those thin shank pipe shapes (and smaller pipes).
Bravo on that commission, what an elegant piece (her pipes seem to define elegant). Any one of those stems would be brilliant, but the entire collection - hell of a commission idea. You certainly have a flair for the atypical pipe, I now expect no less!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Are those her pictures? A few years ago, she posted pictures of her the pipe looking into a cul-de-sac, not exactly doing the work justice.

Dec 24, 2012
Jesse, I love a thin shank pipe and that is a beauty. If Scottie is in Chicago I will see what she has for sale.
One question - what is the chamber diameter and depth on that one?

scotties22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2012
Kansas City, MO
"Jesse I love that pipe, Amber stem makes it, but throw that damn yellow stem away. :puffy: "
Hey now.....I promise that yellow is A LOT more tame in person :lol: It actually has some really great white swirls that didn't come through in the photo at all. Upon Jesse's recommendation I am going to switch to a gray background with the hopes of not blinding people with pictures of the next yellow stem I make :wink: The white stem totally disappeared in the pictures even though I had it sitting on the case....it was a ghost stem :roll:
@peckinpahhombre- I won't be in Chicago this year. The kids are still too small. I will be in KC in June if you want to find me there 8) The chamber is .50" x 1.81" (I didn't measure it before I sent it to Jesse so the debth is based on my notes).
Thank you all for the kind words. This set was a challenge for me, but I am very pleased with the results. Jesse, however, was horrible to work with.....super demanding and exacting in what he wanted. (for those of you who don't know me I am extremely sarcastic :nana: )

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Wow! A great grab! Congrats, I hope it brings as many good smokes as it looks perfectly capable.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Oh man are you making me jealous! I love Piersel's shanks and pipes with multiple stems. What a great commission.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I would be curious to know if you're finding more moisture in the pipe when smoking old, familiar blends. Lovely pipe. I've had her stuff on my radar for a while now but have been unsure about the impact of the medical tubing. I like the amber bot best too. Oh, let me know what tamper works best for you with a pipe this narrow. I have a pipe 20% wider which only takes a pipe nail :(

Status
Not open for further replies.