PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
During my time away from the forums, I turned 21. In that time I have found that I love Scotch. I'm sipping of The Balvenie 14yr Caribbean Cask as I type this. I know there are other single malt lovers here, so What is your favorite?

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Personal favorite is 12-year Dalmore, and I like Highland malts the best. This chart might help - Balvenie Double Wood is on the lower right, don't know how it compares to your Balvenie.
SingleMalt.jpg

(Turned 21 so I can drink! Sure, Uber ;)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like Cutty Sark (blended), or Glenlivet(single) when I'm not indulging my rum.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Balvenie Double Wood is on the lower right, don't know how it compares to your Balvenie.

The Double wood is really woody, The Caribbean cask is finished in Rum Casks, so its sweet and slightly fruity. I also really like Glenlivet 15 year, and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Single Malts......... Oh how I love thee. I have about 40 different bottles of Single Malts on my shelf.

Here's my current favorites

1. Lagavulin 16

2. GlenFiddich 16

3. Talisker 10

4. Oban 16

5. Macallen 18

6. Macallen 12 - Sherry Cask

7. Balvenie Doublewood 17

8. Dalwhinnie 15

9. Glenlivet 18

10. Glenmorangie 15
Although numbered they really aren't in an order.....they are like good baccy. Its on hand for whatever mood I'm in.
Man, I really need to get up to Nevada and visit a buddy...

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I love single malts from Islay, which are the smokiest of the single malts. I don't have the funds to spend $40-$90 on them too often, but when I do, Lagavulin tops the list, but Laphroiag, Ardbeg and Bowmore are all great as far as I'm concerned.

My go to scotch is White Horse, a really nice drinkable blended scotch, based according to the label, on Lagavulin. And... it's only about $15 a bottle! :wink:

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Glenfiddich is a go to for me when I want scotch. I have a bottle of black grouse that is the most smokey scotch I've ever had. Aftertaste reminds me of tobacco. Im more of an Irish and Bourbon drinker though

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Pinch (Dimple for those of you across the pond) for a blend and Glendronach 15 (the revival version) for single malt.
If we go after some cask strength, Laphroaig it is all the way - like peaty butter it is...

laphroaig-10-year-cask-strength-57-8-abv.jpg

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
...don't care for a lot of smoke and peat in my scotch.
The cask strength is weird. It's peaty, but not in the usual way. Its almost a sweet smokiness. It takes water like a champ, like nothing else I've ever had. With water, it blooms as a flower in a crisp spring morning.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
The best bottle of single malt I had was a Glenlivet Cask Strength 16 year old offering that was only available to purchase at the distillery.
MaCallan Cask Strength is good too.
There are many out there that are really great. I enjoy an Islay on occasion, but I can't drink them often.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I recently was at the Oban distillery and Tallisker distilleries in Scotland. I am a huge fan of scotch. I would have to say my favorites are Oban 14 year and Talisker Port Ruighe. I picked up a bottle of Distillers edition in Oban as well. Its from 1994 and is pretty amazing. I drink that very rarely though.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Monkey shoulder is a great blended. I believe it is Macallan and Tallasker distillery blends. Easy on the wallet as well.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I like scotch I am just not allowed to drink it at present on medical grounds. Sadly my taste only extended to Johnny Walker Red and Bullet Bourbon if I was feeling very adventurous and fancied something with a beer chaser. Anything else was wasted on me I am afraid!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I have tried and enjoy Glenlivet 15, Genmorangie, and I am currently enjoying a bit of Aberlour.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I like the big smokies; Laphroaig(cask strength when I can find it), Ardbeg(Corryvreckan is my favorite), and Lagavulin 16YO.

I can't afford to drink them daily, but I love the smoky/peaty ones with straight VA tobaccos.

Old Pulteney is a great buy, and my daily tipple. I like it with Lat/English/Balkan blends........

Aberlour A'bundh is good too, though it varies quite a bit from batch to batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.