PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I had Ardbeg and really liked it. For $20 McClennand's Islay was pretty peaty and oily.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Oban, Macallam. For a mere $600 you can get the Macallam 25 year-old. The single malts have gotten ridicuously expensive. For a blended scoth Famous Grouse is very good and their Black Grouse is nice as well.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Laphroiag 10 yr. is my everyday scotch and Lagavulin 16yr. is my once in a while treat. They are both very heavily peated and very delicious. The Islay whiskys are going to be the most peated.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Lots of good peaty scotches mentioned. Curiositas from BenRomach is really peaty, and "Peat Monster" even though it sounds cheesy is very good scotch.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I second the Laphroaig. The quarter-cask is especially peaty. Like a campfire. The next day.
Also, Scapa is a nice Orkney Islands peaty drink if you can find it.

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
Ardbeg, Lavagulin, Talister, Bunnahabin, Laphroig, Bruchladdich.
This covers the peaty Scotch. For an interesting travel into a peated Irish Whiskey try Connemara.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I wish I knew about alcohol. I don't know Jack other than wine. And only red at that.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Islay malts are all peaty to one degree or another. Bunnhahabin is very light in the peat,while others can be quite heavily peated.

I am fond of Lagavulin myself. The 16 year old is readily available, and runs about $80 a bottle in my neck to the woods.
tumblr_maxlp7DSGg1rbev1qo1_1280.jpg

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I prefer a blended scotch low on the pete scale. Johnnie Walker makes some good blends. Gold is a great scotch IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.