PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I just won this pipe on Ebay.
I liked the shape and odd pearl lucite bit, but I really wanted it because it was made at the Malaga pipeshop, which was in the town where I grew up. I still live only a couple of miles away from the old store. It closed in the early 90s, and I never stepped foot in the place, but I remember driving by it thousands of times.
It's a strange take on the prince shape, with a very wide oval shank. It was in a great condition when it arrived, and a thorough alcohol cleaning with some bristle cleaners was all it needed. I really like the very deep and craggy sandblast on it. I think it was an absolute steal at $22 including shipping.
cwvDm9asA3Lw9bM2Abl5es2rQA

cwvDm9asA3Lw9bMGAbl5etGTAQ

cwvDm9asA3Lw9aNGIbl5etGTBg

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
That's a really nice looking pipe and like the story behind it as well. Congratulations!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Thanks everybody. I had a half bowl out of it last night and it smoked great. It's always fun when an Ebay purchase works out well.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. I am glad it carries additional meaning for you as well. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Congratulations. I have been trolling for a Malaga pipe for a while but that one did not talk to me. Glad to hear that it smoked well.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think you did steal that one! My buddy, Steve Laug did an essay on Malaga pipes on his blog which you might enjoy:

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/02/09/george-khoubesser-and-malaga-pipes/
After reading that essay, I found this one on Ebay and Steve grabbed it as well ($20 couple bucks):

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/renewed-malaga-bulldog/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice texture on that bowl. I have several carved, rusticated and sandblasted briars with texture,

and it's a nice added dimension to a smoke. When you get that baby fired up, you'll know you're

in the zone.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Good old Malaga. I only made it there once or maybe twice - it was a bit of a haul from my house, and in those days there were other tobacconists in metro Detroit - Humidor One, Churchill's with multiple stores, Hill & Hill with multiple stores. Now Malaga is gone, and Humidor One, and Churchill's and Hill and Hill are down to one store each. I really need to get a Cuyahoga pipe from Paul's up in Flint. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.