PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
I can see now what happened with my tongue. I smoked my pipes so hot that I scorched the left side of my tongue. The scorch mark is fading now. I won't be making that mistake again.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Glad that's sorted Jazz. Kinda why I was asking about how long youd been smoking and how often at the start of the great cancer scare post. I fried my tongue in first few months I was smoking in exactly the same way.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Ouch. You shouldn't do that anymore.
If it gets hot or your tongue gets sensitive, just set the pipe down. Don't try and be a hero and power through it, lol! My tongue is a little sensitive, but after smoking somewhat regularly it isn't nearly as bad.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Pipe smoking should not hurt the tongue unless the smoker is hot boxing the pipe by smoking too rapidly.
However, everybody's chemistry is different and some people will experience a "bite" with certain tobaccos.
Also, too much tobacco in an evening at our pipe club meeting will occasionally have me wondering when I awake the next morning if the Black Watch did a sword dance on my scorched tongue.
Slow, small puffs and a relaxed cadence are the way to go.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
When I first started I would scorch the hell out of my tongue, also. I almost gave up because I also couldn't keep my pipes from getting too hot to touch. Took a lot of persistence to learn to just keep the bowl smoldering.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
There's two types of people in this world; people that have scorched their tongue when they first picked up the pipe, and dirty rotten liars.
If you have trouble keeping the pipe cool I like the tip by Trailboszs.

As you slowly draw on the pipe, allow some outside air to enter on the edges of the stem...like sipping fine whiskey.
My favorite technique is to close you mouth around the pipe and inhale through your nose. This creates a tiny vacuum inside your mouth, and like magic smoke has been drawn into hour mouth for you while you took a nice deep contemplative breath.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
My favorite technique is to close you mouth around the pipe and inhale through your nose. This creates a tiny vacuum inside your mouth, and like magic smoke has been drawn into hour mouth for you while you took a nice deep contemplative breath.
This. This this this!

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
I am just thankful I have a tongue thats tough as leather!
I power-puff pipes and cigars like no ones business and have never experienced tongue bite :lol:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Tongue bite is a different animal. Try not to confuse the newbies with incorrect verbiage.
We're talking about tongue burn or tongue scorch here.
Tongue bite is a dull to sharp pain that we experience when we smoke a tobacco that does not agree with our body chemistry. Tongue bite is usually noticed immediately but can be tolerated if its a very weak bite. A tobacco that has been puffed on too hard may also start to bite and or burn the tongue as well, but the two are different phenomena. Tongue bite will wear off when you stop puffing and does not do any damage to your tongue. The steam and hot smoke you produce while puffing too fast will burn your tongue.
Even seasoned forum members mix up these words. It gets under my skin so I'm just trying to educate.

If this came off as being a Dick it wasn't intended.

vdrifter

Lurker
Jan 17, 2014
I try not to inhale while simultaneously smoking in order to prevent further inhaling into the lungs.
As for burn, don't think I've ever had it (that bad). Tongue bite? Plenty of times at the beginning. Learned to smoke slow, real quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.