PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Full Story
I tend to think of STG as a pipe tobacco company but this article makes it apparent that the focus is going to continue being on cigars. All the same, I'm glad to see that they are doing well enough to acquire and grow.

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
Thompson's was a terrible company after the cigar boom. They only recently righted the ship, maybe since 2010 or so. Back in the day they had overpriced name brands and then really crappy re-banded/re-branded Victor Sinclair cigars (Iguana, Manolete, Tusker, etc., although I liked Tuskers a bit). Now, their prices are semi-competitive, their five pack special--when stacked--is one of the best values in primo cigars. But they were known for hounding their customers with calls, emails, and catalogs, so a lot of the backlash you see is from those of us who can't think of Thompson's as something other than an annoyance.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I haven't purchased anything from Thompson's in years because the last time I bought a box of cigars from them they arrived in terrible condition. They were dry to the point of being unsmokable. And I'm basically a pipe smoker exclusively now so I don't have any desire to order from them.
It's a shame though. A company like STG with millions of dollars to spend . . . I know several people on this forum that are probably wondering why they couldn't have spent some of that on acquiring the Dunhill blends.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Wow. Cigars Int'l, Cigar.com, Pipes and Cigars, and now Thompson. Not to mention blends like Sasieni, Escudo, SWR, Erinmore, and by extension all the P&C/H&H blends, and all the pirated Cuban cigar brands, CAO, hell even White Owl! Is it time to start a rumor that that they're buying out McClelland yet?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I tend to think of STG as a pipe tobacco company
Actually, the cigar side of STG is a much larger part of their business since they own General Cigar and CI.
Russ

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I had to laugh at some of the comments railing against the Danes when STG is a Swedish company.

We're lucky anyone is willing to invest in tobacco these days.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Sold a ton of pipe tobacco in 2011 to buy cigars. Didn't know very much about cigars and ended up buying ~16 Padron Anniversary for~$450.00. No sooner did I place the order they're calling me to sell me more stuff. Since, ran them down to those who would listen and never spent another dime for goods from them.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
I had to laugh at some of the comments railing against the Danes when STG is a Swedish company.

We're lucky anyone is willing to invest
Not that it matters much but STG is Danish and headquarters are in Denmark. Swedish Match was part of the group but no more, according to the STG homepage.

STG board

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've never bought anything from Thompson. When I was heavily into cigars they were always the highest priced online retailer, and never had any offerings/samplers that appealed to me. Plus I never heard anything good about their business. Maybe they're a different company now, but I'm content on purchasing cigars from Cigar's International and their Cigar Bid site.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
We're lucky anyone is willing to invest in tobacco these days.
Flipping that around, we should do whatever we can to encourage people to invest in and enjoy tobacco.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
About 11 years ago I bought a box of cigars from Thompson that was banded with my company logo and with the logo stamped onto the top of the box. Wasn't expecting much, but the cigars were pretty good. Even had some clients asking if I had more I could give them.
Bought another box. They were crap. Burned uneven, dry and almost tasteless. In fact, tasteless would have been an improvement.
Never bought another thing from Thompson and I still throw their catalogs into the recycle bin when they come in.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
They're going to have to work pretty hard to distinguish Thompsons from their other online retail sites.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
By coincidence, I happen to be smoking a Thompson house pipe, stamped "Thompson" and "Made In West Germany", gifted me by friends, a freehand with plateau brim, so Thompson was in the pipe business during the days of a divided Germany.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cigars are the revenue stream that gets the millions in the price tag. I wonder if STG has poked around Dunhill blenders and priced out that.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
I sometimes think that without Denmark European tobacco (caveat: there will always be an England) would be on the endangered species list.
Plugugly

Status
Not open for further replies.