PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

etc46

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
Hi all -
Mostly curiosity, but has native Smilax (we call 'em saw briars in TN) briar root (or rhizomes or whatever) been used for pipes?

A post be drsam a couple years ago may have been about one.

I found a nice large example, thought I might cobble something out of it if useable.
Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know that plant. In North Carolina there is a carver who uses Mountain Laurel successfully. I've

bought five of his pipes, some briar and some Mountain Laurel. I've had one of the Mountain Laurel pipes

for 12 years and it seems as good as briar.

etc46

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
It grows wild over much of the eastern U.S. I think.

Plant:

smilax.jpg

Root:

smilax-root-600x450.jpg

etc46

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
Strictly speaking, it's a rhizome with roots attached, but yeah - creepy looking. :)

Seems to be super dense material though.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I have an estate "Breezewood" that is made of that stuff. I read that it imparts a bitter taste to the smoke but I haven't noticed that. It's gotta be over sixty years old now so any bitterness must be long gone.

etc46

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
Breezewoods were made of mountain laurel, a shrub.

Saw briar is a climbing vine, called greenbriar in some locales.

Given it's widespread availability and apparent density, it seems odd to me that it hasn't been used.

But I know nothing of pipemaking or particulars of it's qualities relative to smokeability.

I did grind off small areas (too hard to cut with an Exacto) to get a look at grain and there was no charring, so I think that's a positive.

Color is a pale pinkish tan, grain is unstructured black dots/short lines - I'll try to get a pic shortly.

I just think it would be great to have "American Briar" on a pipe made of true, thorny, "Please don't throw me in dat briar patch" briar.

etc46

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
Color and grain structure, saliva dampened:
grain1-600x450.jpg

grain2-600x450.jpg

Careful use of that dark outer layer could be striking on a freehand.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Breezewoods were made of mountain laurel, a shrub.

Saw briar is a climbing vine, called greenbriar in some locales
Sorry, I was replying to mso's post. They are indeed different. From the Wikipedia page they are both classified as "shrubs" though, not exactly vines. A mere technicality, I suppose.

etc46

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
This is Smilax bona-nox, one of several vine variants in a group of over 300 Smilax species.

Wikipedia also says:"The Houma people of Louisiana used Smilax bona-nox roots to treat urinary tract infections and to make bread and cake."

So no toxins. :wink:

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Why not give it a shot yourself? Shape it into a block drill some holes and see where it takes you. It's not terribly difficult just time consuming unless you have all the fun tools and took wood shop. If you give it a shot let us know how it goes.

etc46

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
To tell the truth, I was hoping a real pipemaker on the forum might say: "Hey - I'm gonna try that stuff!", and then let us know how it carves/finishes/smokes.

And then gets rich making "Genuine American Briar" pipes. :D
Otherwise, I may have to follow devildog's suggestion and give it a crude go.

Status
Not open for further replies.