PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Some of you may have read about three old pipes I found in a flea market and rescued. Well this post is to talk about two of those pipes, a Savory's Argyll sandblasted 95 and a Savory's Argyll smooth 286. When I found the pipes they were very, very well loved lol! Both of them had so much cake that is hard to believe the previous owner could even load a bowl. The stems looked like a rabid honey badger got a hold of them. I could go on, but I feel you get the idea. I bought all of them for $10.00 and today feel like I stole them. I cleaned and cleaned and yes cleaned them. I sanded the bowl over and over with a wooden dowl and fine sandpaper until finally almost all cake was removed. I washed the outside with soap and water until the outside was clean. Then I used cotton balls and Everclear to pull the old juices and tar out of the bowls. This was repeated quite a few times, finally they were clean! Then I bought some leather dye and some alcohol and restrained the pipes. They looked pretty good!
As found.

img_20141214_112027230-337x600.jpg

Cotton ball and alcohol.

img_20141215_170154560-600x337.jpg

Now I needed new stems...hmmmm who do we know that does stemms? oh yeah georged!!!
Black Sandblast before.

img_20150921_225706-600x337.jpg

Brown Smooth before.

img_20150921_224330802_hdr-600x337.jpg

George works his magic and buffed them a bit as I have no buffer and sends them back.
bobek-3-restems-600x398.jpg

Now I have them back and I smoke the Savory's 95 first. I had no great expectations just thought it would be a nice smoker. But instead I find a little over an hour of Nirvana! The bowl is large and the draw is simply effortless. The pipe has history and I can sense it in the background. The wood has that special smoothness that can only be achieved by the passage of time. I am flabbergasted how much I enjoyed smoking this pipe! WOW! So I think what does the Savory's 286 smoke like? I just finished a touch over an hour of sweetness and light with the 95 and think I will go do some chores and smoke the 286 after that.
Nope, I cannot get over the wonderful smoke with the 95! About 15 minutes later I am back in my smoking room loading up the 286. Light up and BAM again the sense of history smacks me. The draw, again effortless and the Briar is so very smooth as only time can do! Ohhhhhhhh my!!
I am a bent pipeman, not a fan of straights. But these two pipes are firmly in my rotation. I cannot say enough about how smooth, how effortless, and how wonderful they are to smoke. mso or the Old Cajun in a long ago post indicated the Savory's were very good smokers. Which may be the biggest understatement since Noah said looks like rain! I will be looking for more Savory's pipes!! If you see one and enjoy a extremely wonderful pipe smoking experience, snatch it up you will not be disappointed!! The two newest additions to the Varsity team!!
img_20151230_072700446-600x337.jpg

Reactions: alittleton
May 31, 2012
George is nifty wizard,

and a geniune diamond geezer to boot!
It's cool to read of your blissful experience with the shape 286 because I have a similar one and it delivers the goody goods in much the same magical manner...it's a big 'ol billiard ain't it?
...in blast finish and dedicated to Stonehaven, makes me drool just thinking about how well it smokes!
I've always loved the savory's box design too!
Here's mine:
lKRRfGl.jpg

H7PDIC4.jpg

XMvGz5b.jpg

yuinP5Y.jpg
Congrats on the fine pipes,

enjoy them well!

:puffy:

May 31, 2012
Oh yeah,

I forgot to mention your comment about the great draw,

yours probably draws better than mine because without doubt the Dibos Made stem is far superior to the factory version.
He can work wonders with airways --- he did a resto on an odd old Depi Sandy (an unusual rare pipe) and I'm convinced that he did something or other to the airway because it draws just so damn smooth!
I dedicated that pipe to Kendal Kentucky in his honor.

:puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have 4 Savorys, 2 pokers, one is a Courzon and smokes the best. The other 2 Billards, one smooth, one a Tanshell, I would give up some of my Dunhills before these, that's how much I like them. Yours are first class also.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Congratulations on your Savory's and their restoration to active smoking!
I have a Savory's Argyll 810 shell-style bent featuring a Group-Four-sized bowl which I purchased from Pipestud, and it is an outstanding smoker. May yours be also.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Thank you all. I must admit to being quite proud of saving these from the trash. Of course georged played a huge part in that also.
lowercase, love your pipe and the box is sweet! No boxes with mine so it was nice to see that. I agree on georged!!
Ahhhhhh Cajun, I thought it was you that had mentioned Savory's is a great smoker! That point was what tipped the scales on skip them or take the plunge and bring them back to life! Will you please post some pics of yours?
hunter I would love to see some pics of your Savory's.
Happy puffing to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.