PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Just received this from a dear friend, Dave, I have more than a few Savorys and did not have this shape, smoked it on the porch yesterday and it did not dissapointe me.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Beautiful pipe, Cajun!
I became interested in the Savory line when I found an Orson Welles' purchasing receipt with them listed.
I'd purchased a similar Argyle that was expertly restored by fellow member, ssjones. It's a sitter, bent billiard; and I love that pipe. I hope to run across another on the market in the future.
I hope you thouroghly enjoy yours, sir!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ah, thought that I remembered that one. I restored that pipe, a shape 189, just over a year ago.
https://rebornpipes.com/2016/11/19/savorys-agryll-shape-189-restoration/
savorys_argyll_finish-1.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Thanks for the better picture Al, and great work by the way. I have a Savory Courzon Poker that is one of my very favorites, Savory and Wilmer are always on my list.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"But is it Argill- or Argyle?"
It's Argyll, just as Bradley spelled it in the title for this thread.
I, too, have one, except mine is shape No. 810 which features a square shank and a saddle bit. It is a good smoker whose capacious bowl provides well over an hour's worth of piping pleasure.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"But is it Argill- or Argyle?"
It's Argyll, just as Bradley spelled it in the title for this thread.
No. It was spelled "Argill" originally, but someone changed the title. I also misspelled, using the archaic form "Argyle", not "Argyll", the modern spelling. Odd it got changed, as the old form is closer to the phonetic pronunciation.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"No. It was spelled "Argill" originally, but someone changed the title. I also misspelled, using the archaic form "Argyle", not "Argyll", the modern spelling. Odd it got changed, as the old form is closer to the phonetic pronunciation."
All that I know is that my particular pipe is stamped "Argyll."
Here is a link (Savory's Argyll Shape 189) to the Reborn Pipes Website, and SSJones' article on the restoration thereof. (Sorry, I just noticed that Al included this link in his post above.)

Status
Not open for further replies.