PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chs110

Lurker
Feb 25, 2015
New pipe smoker here. Bought a Savinelli pipe - smoked great. Went to clean it and saw a filter. Did some research and bought some more (6 mm). Inserted it, and tried to light it. Very difficult draw. Removed the filter and was fine. Like the idea of a filter to pick up moisture. What am I doing wrong?????

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Or if you find the draw a little too open, but you don't want the balsa filter, get an adaptor to use the pipe without a filter.

You can get one of these for $1.99 or a pack of five for $4 (the five pack from smokingpipes.com). The adaptor can be kept

clean and used indefinitely.

Mar 1, 2014
I like to use a curled up piece of pipe cleaner in filter slots. Instead of the 10 cent brand name filter it only costs a quarter-cent per bowl if you use 1/8 of a pipe cleaner.

If you smoke once a day that's $36 a year (so for me that would be around $18/year), whether that's worth the extra fiddling is up to you, but as someone trying to get these things worked out in the long term I would rather not spend hundreds of dollars on filters. Not to mention that a pipe cleaner is adaptable to any pipe (that has a filter slot), whereas most filters are limited to a few brands.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
SInce no one addressed your question directly, I'll take a stab at it. I use the 6 mm triangular Savinelli filters in several of their pipes and there's no way that they will restrict the draw as severely as you have suggested. Assuming that you're using the correct filter and have it inserted correctly, you need to look for some other restriction in the pipe. Note that the Savinelli filters are triangular and sit in a round hole: the filter doesn't fill up the entire hole and the smoke is supposed to pass around the filter and not through it. If the original filter didn't give you fits, then replacement ones shouldn't, either.

My guess is that you are pushing the filter too far into the stem, blocking the hole. This happens when I use a filter on my Oscar Tiger. I like the balsas when I smoke my stronger blends, but most of the time I prefer the open draw without the balsa. Try not pushing it all of the way in.

Just FYI - I was at the hobby shop that specializes in models and RC stuff a few months ago, and they had ten foot lengths of triangular 6mm balsa wood for about $3 give or take some pocket change. I've been slicing off lengths to fit for my pipe, and they work great. They even had some square 9mm lengths that I picked up for some of my older Savinellis that use those.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Does the 9mm square balsa seem to work as well as the serrated Savinelli 9mm filters? If so I'm heading down to the hobby store today.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Darwwin, I've been meaning to go to the hobby shop and try it first hand. But multiple users report that the experience is identical and I've never read that they performed differently.
I tend to smoke the 6mm sans filter. Have a 9mm on the way and will try different configurations.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Darwwin, I've been meaning to go to the hobby shop and try it first hand. But multiple users report that the experience is identical and I've never read that they performed differently.
I tend to smoke the 6mm sans filter. Have a 9mm on the way and will try different configurations.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've never smoked using filters, but nonetheless I think I can say that real men don't use them:)))

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
I like the Savinelli filters but not any others. Especially if you have a problem getting tongue bite.
But that's the only filter I've ever liked.

Filters, I think of something that actually screens the air flow. Balsa wood just absorbs the moisture from the air making a drier smoke. But, regardless, some just don't like them. To each his own.

Yes, the 9mm works just the same. I have no idea why they made a 9mm, unless it was just a grandfather to the newer improved 6mm ones. You can also stick a Stanwell charcoal filter in there, but then you get into an "actual" filter that passes air flow through a fine charcoal mesh.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't use filters much, but I appreciate having the option. Some aromatics I like still carry a lot of moisture and can bite, and a filter cuts that way back, whether balsa or Dr. Grabow or Medico. Occasionally, with a really strong leaf, when you want that flavor but not the strength, a filter is good. I don't often use a filter, but I like having the choice. With Savenelli filter pipes, I like having the adaptors that constrict the draw a little but don't filter the flavor. If you like Sevanelli pipes but not the filters so much, they make pipes without filters, such as the 601 churchwarden or the Oscar Lucite line including the KS pipes with larger bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.