PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kornfreak78

Lurker
Mar 26, 2016
Urbana, IL
I am hoping one of you can help me out. I am desperately seeking to obtain a black Savinelli Trevi Rusticated 616 KS pipe (Picture at the bottom of this post). I have found a few here and there but they always lack the carbon/charcoal coating on the inside of the bowl. I am a bit of a stickler where that is concerned. I have heard from other people in the YTPC that the coating does indeed help protect and prolong the life of your pipe and I am all for that, sadly it seems that most pipes come WITHOUT the coating. I have looked all over and come up empty handed where this is concerned. I've tried pipes and cigars, smoking pipes, and tobacco pipes... even checked ebay and amazon... I've found absolutely no Savinelli Trevi Rusticated 616 KS with the bowl coating. Do any of you happen to know WHERE I can locate one? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
p229z-616ks_01.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
korn, the black coating does nothing to prolong the life of the pipe or protect it. I hate coatings as they normally taste like crap. Any time I commission a pipe, I make sure the bowl is naked. The naked bowls break in just as fast as a coated bowl. Who ever is telling you these things about coated bowls is misinformed. If you hot box a pipe, nothing is going to protect it. Just fill the pipe, smoke it as you normally do, and the pipe will break in when it does.
If you smoke VA, Vaper and Vabur flakes, a nice hard cake will happen faster than with any other type of tobacco. I have broken in quite a few pipes in my day and flakes are the quickest.

kornfreak78

Lurker
Mar 26, 2016
Urbana, IL
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I've spent a good 2 or 3 years watching videos on YouTube of guys smoking pipes and many (not all) say that the coating helps prolong and protect the life of the pipe. Before I watched those videos I never really cared either way of the bowl was coated or not. Then again, I never bought really expensive pipes either so I was never worried about it much. I've asked around over the last few months and the coating vs. no coating topic seems to be a pretty heated argument among pipe smokers. Some are all for it, and some are extremely against it. I'm starting to wonder if it's just a preference rather than something that actually makes a difference (as you said, that it DOESN'T). I guess for me, i've always worried about burning through a bowl too harshly and when I heard that the coating helps protect against that, i've since opted for the coating. Anyway, thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

kornfreak78

Lurker
Mar 26, 2016
Urbana, IL
I pretty much only smoke Savinelli pipes. Never really had a bad experience with them (yet). My first pipe I got from them was a Rusticated Trevi 320 KS (same style as this 616 I want) and that bowl was coated, it smoked wonderfully. But I see what you mean.

kornfreak78

Lurker
Mar 26, 2016
Urbana, IL
What all goes into the mixture for coating? I've heard it's some kind of carbon/charcoal coating. Not sure what all goes into that though. Suppose I could google it. With the coating vs. non-coating being such a big issue between pipe smokers I don't know why distributors and manufacturers don't make BOTH versions of the pipes, that way everyone is happy.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Most of the coatings contain some type of radioactive material which will shrink your dick. No I am not kidding, peck told me his shrank from his normal size of 4", down to 2". This is one reason I never want it in my pipes, I would hate getting shrunk from 13" down to 6.5.
I know you are thinking to your self that cigrmaster if full of shit, but I am not. Go ahead and smoke a coated bowl, just don't blame me when you shrink.

kornfreak78

Lurker
Mar 26, 2016
Urbana, IL
Don't ask him how he knows this.
Dare I ask?? lol. I was thinking "wow..." to myself when I read what he said. Anymore? I don't know if someone is being truthful about things or just trolling like a lot of people do. lol. These days, when in doubt? Just smile and nod.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have a Savinelli 616 KS Trevi (just as pictured) and its one of my favorite and best smoking pipes. The bowl coating does nothing to prolong the pipe in my opinion. My Savinelli 320 KS Trevi (smooth) came with a bowl coating and it took a good 10 plus smokes to get rid of the awful taste that the bowl coating imparted on the taste of the tobacco. My Peterson pipe that came with a coating barely put off a taste on the first smoke. Not sure what Savinelli used in my 320 but it was horrible. You'll be better off without the coating in my opinion. I'm also not one that believes in breaking in your pipe with half bowls etc. to start. All my pipes I load a bowl of tobacco and smoke it just as I would any pipe, whether its the first smoke or the 100th smoke etc. That's a solid pipe, so you should have no issues breaking it in. If you purchase this pipe you will enjoy it.

Mar 1, 2014
Just spread a thin layer of honey or something sugary and sticky on the bowl and then smother it in nice Burley ash. Cake done fast.

kornfreak78

Lurker
Mar 26, 2016
Urbana, IL
The bowl coating does nothing to prolong the pipe in my opinion.

I've always thought the coating helped prolong and protect the pipe. I know this is a huge debated topic between pipe smokers, and I keep going back and forth about it. I spent a lot of time of watching guys on youtube talk about this very topic and some said it was pointless while others said it did indeed protect the pipe. I figured if it prolonged the life of the pipe it would be a good thing to have. Honestly at this point I am willing to get one WITHOUT the coating because that's all they seem to have left online. The ones WITH the coating are all out of stock and from what I have been told, they've been discontinued from Savinelli in general. I really want a rusticated 616 so I might just forgo the coating and then be able to judge for myself. My first Savinelli had the coating and it didn't really bother me, but i've also never had one without the coating yet. So maybe I will tell the difference when the time comes.
Just spread a thin layer of honey or something sugary and sticky on the bowl and then smother it in nice Burley ash. Cake done fast.

It's safe to do that to the inside of the bowl? I'm wondering if I should try that or just build a natural cake myself. I've never had a non-coated bowl on a pipe yet. Do you have to smoke it any differently to break it in? Any advice would be appreciated.

kornfreak78

Lurker
Mar 26, 2016
Urbana, IL
Well... So much for having to settle on the 616 WITHOUT the coating. I JUST NOW found a place that had one WITH the coating. I went ahead and just ordered it about 10 minutes ago. Maybe one day I will try a pipe without the coating, but for now? If I can get it with the coating, just going to do that. Maybe it's a dumb choice on my part, but I tend to stick with what I know.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not to worry. Just load it and smoke it and the cake will take care of itself. Don't pull real hard, don't smoke in a breeze over a few mph, and if the bowl gets hot, stop, wait till she cools, and resume.
Enjoy!

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
If you check back on your post I would personally discourage the honey or sticky coatings. To much heat.
+1 to not fearing an uncoated bowl.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
To answer your OP, and not debate the likes or dislikes of coatings. Here is one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savinelli-Trevi-Rustic-616-KS-Tobacco-Pipe-/182055858627?hash=item2a635ff1c3:g:kDAAAOxyNo9SyG6T

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Ironically enough, I had to solicit opinions, and use trial and error, to figure out the best ways to get rid of various types of bowl coatings. To each their own, as always.

kornfreak78

Lurker
Mar 26, 2016
Urbana, IL
Not to worry. Just load it and smoke it and the cake will take care of itself. Don't pull real hard, don't smoke in a breeze over a few mph, and if the bowl gets hot, stop, wait till she cools, and resume.
Enjoy!
I ended up finding one WITH the coating and ordered it, been waiting a few days now. SHOULD arrive tomorrow. I'm excited! :)
If you check back on your post I would personally discourage the honey or sticky coatings. To much heat.
+1 to not fearing an uncoated bowl.
Yeah, not going to try the honey thing. Just doesn't sit right with me. not discouraging those that DO use that, but I don't think that's for me. As for the uncoated bowl, I ended up finding one with the coating. I paid more for it, but i've never had an uncoated bowl, not sure i'm ready to venture down that road just yet.
FWIW: I once got a "new" Peterson 106 because I like the shape and always loved the old ones. It was ghastly to smoke (dip stain). I smeared the chamber with honey and smoked it. Ghastly. Tried it several more times. No effect. Gave it away & chalked it up to experience.
Yeah, definitely NOT going to try the honey method. Just don't think it's for me.
To answer your OP, and not debate the likes or dislikes of coatings. Here is one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savinelli-Trevi-Rustic-616-KS-Tobacco-Pipe-/182055858627?hash=item2a635ff1c3:g:kDAAAOxyNo9SyG6T
Thanks very much. I already ordered one. I had looked ALL OVER to find the rusticated trevi 616 WITH the bowl coating and found one on 4noggins. The guy said it had the coating. I'll find out tomorrow. (it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow) so I will find out. I hope it really is coated, I had to pay extra for it. Cost me $85.75. Could have had the same pipe WITHOUT the coating for $70.40 but I wanted the coating so I paid extra.
Ironically enough, I had to solicit opinions, and use trial and error, to figure out the best ways to get rid of various types of bowl coatings. To each their own, as always.
Hey nothing wrong with that, i've found by asking around in the pipe community as well as watching endless hours of youtube videos within the YTPC and it seems pretty even, some prefer the coating, others hate it. I happen to like it, but you're very right, to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.