PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
001.jpg

I got this Savinelli Sabbiata 720 about a week ago. I like a very dark stain on a sandblasted pipe. A solid dark background draws attention to the natural wood grain pattern exposed by the abrasive treatment.

_DSC0281.jpg

The shape of this pipe caught my eye instantly. What I didn't like was bits of red showing through the thin black top stain. So I simply restained the briar darker. Now it's perfect. I looked up Sabbiata and it means sandblasted. 8)

_DSC0280.jpg

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks guys, This pipe was the result of SOPAD (Sudden Onset PAD) a condition some of you may be familiar with. I will say it smokes awesome. Last night there was a light but steady breeze on the patio and after the charring light I kept a bowl full of Peterson's Sunset Breeze burning all the way to the dottle. If you want a good pipe for under a Benjamin made with style from Italian briar try a Savinelli -You won't be disappointed.

beaterman

Lurker
Mar 5, 2012
nicely done! Did you have to strip off any wax or other coating, or just put on some more stain? Looks very nice.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I steel wooled the briar which removed most of the original black and hoped the alcohol based stain would penetrate any wax still left. The stain seemed to make it into the wood ok even the smooth spot on the heel where the maker's mark is stamped. I buffed it by hand with a cotton cloth to remove excess stain. (not much stain did come off on the cloth) I lost my block of carnuba so I have to get some more but its not a big deal if I don't get to it right away.
I've got a Peterson 303 sandblast with the same black-over-red stain that I think I might try this same process with. Have to think about it for a while though.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
How did you apply the stain? Did you do any prepping or right over the wax or what?
I love a black sandblast, but that reddish/black has been more appealing lately.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Hi maineyachtie, I steel wooled it pretty aggresively so I think that got most of the wax. I think the alcohol based stain cuts right through the wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.