PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doughboy

Lurker
Jul 20, 2015
I just picked up a savinelli today but after doing some research I am a little confused. I thought I was getting a punto oro, but it is only marked punto. Is this a variation of the punto oro or did I just get a knockoff. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Punto Oro translates to: dot gold. I have two Punto Oro's and both have gold dots inlaid in the stem. They are also both Punto Oro Mister G's, I'm not sure what the difference is.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Strange. Maybe just a bad stamp but without pics or even knowing whether it's new or an estate I can't say. It's hard to imagine anyone would knock off a Punto Oro, so a bad/ worn stamp is my shot in the dark. A gold dot on the stem like Dave said is another characteristic.

doughboy

Lurker
Jul 20, 2015
Thank you all for your fast responses. I will try to add some pictures when it gets in. It is an estate pipe that is a little grimey but doesn't appear damaged. The punto appears fairly crisp, but the savinelli is lightly stamped. I will look for the gold dot, but I can't see it in the picture. From what I can tell one side is stamped 904ks Italy and the other is savinelli punto.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd bet it was a bad stamp. Savenelli's come in a wide price range, so I don't think they'd be counterfeited a lot. I have a nice but inexpensive Greek briar, an Amadeus, with noting but the deus showing. Smokes fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.