PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I've been hunting for the right Estella and finally found it. I wanted a dark stained vulcanite version. I'm extremely picky about rusticated pipes but the rustic patterns of the Estella very alluring.
I hope some of the resident historians will chime in on the Estella line. Some sites claim the Estella was a Savinelli Autograph second, while others state it was the predecessor of the Autograph.
Estella 316 EX
FLAer1zl.jpg

6NUCDYgl.jpg

0ZP7aZNl.jpg

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Dave do you have any more info on the vulcanite version? I bought one a while ago with a wonderful vulcanite stem, but not having seen others assumed it was a replacement.

Owen

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Congrats Dave! That is one great looking pipe, The ridge on the sides of the bowl are fantastic. Sleek design. Hard to pull off being rusticated. Well done Sir!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
That is a fascinating and magnificent pipe!! I love the thin, sinuous, sleek and graceful "turn" of the design... truly a thing of beauty!! :clap:

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
To my knowledge, the Estella was indeed a Savinelli Autograph "Second". I have talked to a few people and the general consensus is that if there is no savinelli logo stamped on it and just the Estella (possibly in a specific font) then it is an early piece.
The only ones I've owned or have seen in person have had lucite stems.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Dave:
What a very, very good catch. I've yet to see an Estella with a Vulcanite stem. That's over the top cool.
I was hemming & hawing over a pipe I saw several years ago at a flea market and my pipe Rabbi, the man from Maurice, LA, shot me a PM which said, "Buy it, Jim. If you don't like it I'll buy it from you. Postage paid." (Now, how do you go wrong with an offer like that?)
That acrylic stemmed hanger (Acrylic? Really?) is still in my week rotation and Bradley, our resident, older than dirt, Vietnam era UDT/SEAL, effing frogman continues to light my path.
Click, we all thought those Estellas were meant to be Sav Autographs but I ran across something a few years that pointed me in a new direction. I'll follow up soon.
Fnord

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
fnord - I would be of much interest! I love learning about pipe history, especially when things can get proven contrary to popular belief!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great looking pipe. That is the first black Estella I have ever seen. Also I have never seen that shape. I owned an Estella and it was a great smoker. Congrats on a fine addition to your collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.