PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this free from smokingpipes.com with the purchase of my Savinelli Silver 606. I have smoked this since a few times, in both briars and meers. Since I felt this is not very popular, I would put in a review.
Family: English Aromatic

Age of Tobacco: 36 months (Based on packing date on the tin)
The tin note, is very sweet and fruity. The ribbon cut is fairly moist, but easy to pack for a beginner. Initially tastes very sweet like an aromatic. I am fairly sure, that there is some topping added, but it does not overwhelm, like some other popular aromatics. Starts to develop its spicy English characteristics from the second half of the bowl, and by the last one third, the latakia/oriental characteristics become very profound, and tastes like a Balkan/English Mixture. Despite being moist, I did not have any issues in lighting. Requires some relights.
It is unlikely I would buy it again, but based on the my tasting profile, it may be liked by some member here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you for the good brief review. You give a clear account of your experience with this blend. Although change and development during a bowl is not categorically a bad thing, it sounds like this is simply an aromatic that burns off the flavoring and leaves you with the base tobacco, which sounds fairly good but is in no need of the flavoring in the first half of the bowl, which I suspect may be why you wouldn't buy it again. The aromatic market is 95% of pipe tobacco, so I can see what Savenelli is thinking, but it might be better if the blend retained its flavoring on down the bowl. Thank you for a good summary.

Status
Not open for further replies.