PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
When this beautiful Italian pot came it to me for a little spiffying, it was already in good condition. There were some areas of heavy scratching and the neon pink putty fills (I hate that stuff) had shrunk and dimpled, but not much other than that. I knew that I wanted to do something about the fills, but one of them sat right on top of the stamping and part of it even dropped down between the uprights (ascenders?) of the "N" in "SAVINELLI".
Here's the pipe on arrival:
a-%252520savdlm622ks001.JPG

a-%252520savdlm622ks002.JPG

a-%252520savdlm622ks003.JPG

a-%252520savdlm622ks005.JPG

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
I considered leaving the fill near the stamping alone, but I just couldn't. I felt that it detracted from the overall look of the pipe too much. So, with a lot of care, I picked out the old putty and refilled it with a mixture of briar shavings and CA. Here are a few photos of the progress:
savfill.jpg

You'll obviously notice the mottled appearance of the patch. That's because the photos were taken before refinishing and my patch method is to use a combination of briar dust and larger briar particles. The dust gives the patch some body to prevent it from shrinking. The larger particles (the lighter areas in the photo) will sand will provide exposed surfaces that accept stain. The final patch is darker than the surrounding wood, but the stained particles blend it a little. In any case, I think it looks way better than the pink stuff.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Here's the finished pipe (apologies for the glare and reflections; I'm still trying to figure out this pipe photography thing):
xx_savdlm622ks001.JPG

xx_savdlm622ks002.JPG

xx_savdlm622ks003.JPG

xx_savdlm622ks004.JPG

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Really nice work! I find it refreshing to see attention to detail, well done sir!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Anthony, I forgot to say it the first time I saw the pipe, but the slot and button look FANTASTIC!

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Thanks for looking, guys.
Dave, I think I may have a button fetish. Just picked up some new tools for working with them. Better tools = better buttons.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
You're a braver man than I, working a fill so close to the stamping. Fantastic work as always. That's a beaut. Nice stem work too. You can use the stem to comb your hair now.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
You're a braver man than I, working a fill so close to the stamping.
There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity. The only way to know which side of the line you're on is by the results. I've been on the wrong side many times.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
I'm glad to see you're still rockin the Fraunchensteen avatar for pipesmag. Lol.

I don't know what you're talking about, man. That's my driver's license photo.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
You did a great job bring life back to that pipe. It's a real beauty now. Well done. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.