jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Good morning, Dottle Makers.
I just snagged this pipe on evilBay.
s-l1600.jpg

Auction Link
My current Savinelli's have KS sized bowls. THis one is listed as an EX.
Which is bigger?
Is there a chart somewhere showing Savinelli bowl sizes?
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I did ponder that for a moment.
I took a calculated risk based on overall condition.
Worst case scenario, I am confident I can dremmel off enough of the stem to make it happy.
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Thanks, fitzy!
For those who want the "cliff notes" version from the link:
regular (gr. 2.5 - 3),

KS: king size (gr. 3.5 - 4),

EX: extraordinaire (gr. 4.5 - 5)
I'm assuming these are capacities in grams for the bowls.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a couple KS, an Oscar Lucite prince and a 673 bulldog. I also have a Hercules, which may be an EX. All worthy smokers and not overweight.

May 4, 2015
18 bucks in that condition is a steal! I'd not worry at all about that shank/stem thing. Surely easily fixable - probably just by pushing it the rest of the way in. :lol:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That's what I figure/hope. All of you will surely hear my rant if that is not the case... :nana:
I can't imagine even build-up as clean as it looks. I'm guessing the seller, as some are in the habit of, did not exert pressure to seat it for fear of breaking it.
They'd rather that I break it after buying it!
jay-roger.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'm guessing the seller, as some are in the habit of, did not exert pressure to seat it for fear of breaking it.
They'd rather that I break it after buying it!
Two tricks for getting an easy fit for the stem after cleaning the mortise. Rub the tenon on a bar of Ivory soap or use a Number 2 pencil. The soap works better, I do it all the time with my pipes.
:wink:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Just a follow up. Pipe arrived today.
ex1-337x600.jpg

It's brand spankin' new and the parts seat together as intended. I'm very pleased.
ex2-337x600.jpg

The sucker IS huge but not too far off from the Roma 111 KS bowl size, honestly. This one has much more briar around that hole, though.
It's also my first saddle bit, IIRC.
It's probably headed into the reserve stash, at this point. I've not yet fabricated an excuse for putting another into rotation, but I'll work on it...
jay-roger.jpg

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
How is it working out for you?
I have a 606 EX, love it. Thinking of getting a few more EX...

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'm a huge Savinelli fan. I find their EX pipes to be a bit big though. Most of my current pipes are KS, which is the Goldilocks zone for me.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Not an everyday pipe for me but if it is a blend I really enjoy I grab my EX and load a few pounds into it :puffpipe:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
+1 For Jay, that may be very obvious reason,

JayTexan: Congrats on the new acquisition hope you can live with EX size, most of my Savinellis are just their regulars and one Comoy's Canadian assumably equals the Savinelli size of KS, and due to this it gets rarely smoked.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I just now saw everyone's follow up posts from a month ago.
The pipe went into the strategic reserve for future use.
It's a heavy bugger. It won't likely be a travel pipe!
I considered it the other day when I was selecting a reserve pipe to begin using for my Potlatch endeavor, but opted for a more squat design.
I may eventually end up using it for one of the D&R type blends, uncased, drier ribbons that want to burn ultra fast.
I like my current rotation and I like having a variety of options in holding for future uses, so I'm not losing sleep over it, although I'm curious as to how it performs.
3rdguy, I have the 606KS and I really like it. It hangs effortlessly from my pie hole and rarely deviate from greatness.
Soon, I'll need a jumbo pipe rack for all these bigger briars...
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When there is such a thing as a reserve stash, it's time to stay away from ebay, but for eighteen bucks, who could resist. Great looking pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.