PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I've been a fan of Der Bingle's for some years. I will be purchasing a pipe as close as I can get to some of the ones I have seen of his. Savinelli has the "official" Bing pipes, but all have a bent stem. Curious as to why this would be, as I have not really seen Bing with anything other than straight of varying lengths.

Oops, that was a statement, not a question. My brother rags me about this all the time.

Here is for all mistakes, this and future: ???????????

Cosmo

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The Savinelli Bing's Favorite is more of a tribute, than an exact replica. Basil Meadows of Reddog Pipes fame makes a close reproduction, and his pipes are fantastic to smoke, IMHO.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Basil Meadow's Bing's are based on the measurements of Bing's original Merchants Service pipes. My Basil is below. Ron Powell makes a wonderful as well, I have 2 of his and love them. Scotty Persel has made a fine reputation for her interpretations of the shape. One of the members here has 7 of her Bings and swears by them.
Basil Meadows' Bing.
PnE6ebI.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Suit your taste and budget. The Sav Bing pipe is a handsome tribute, but I agree, I always saw Bing smoking straight pipes. Choose what pleases you (as Bing did no doubt).

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
I think I am going more for length and straight. Bing had several lengths; the pics I like look like a 7 inch shank. May have to go estate t find one affordable.
Working on a Squat Bulldog, too. EG Robinson looks like the type of guy when he played a newsman that smoked a bulldog. Both styles seem to fit that thirties to sixties era I love so much.
Think I nailed an FDR pipe in the meantime. Few pics show him with a pipe.
Thanks for the input.

Cosmo

donk

Lurker
Jul 1, 2015
I love the Basil Meadows pipes.

Have a few myself.

There are three Modern Bings up for auction on eBay.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
I too am put off somewhat by the curve of the Sav "Bing" and agree on the dimensions of Basil's pipes. Having said that, Sav does make a more Bing-like pipe as a tribute to Ginger Rogers who purported to enjoy the pipe between takes. This is called Ginger's Favorite.
002-033-37313.9501.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.