PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozo46

Lurker
Jan 1, 2013
So many popular brand companies that have been sold have lost the quality that made them famous. Is this true of pipe-makers? Are there brands, i.e. Savinelli, Jarl, Dunham, that should be bought old rather than new? My budget limits me to pipes in the $30-$50 range. I'd rather buy quality used than inferior "new".

Your advice would be most appreciated.

-dozo46

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I have quite a few Petersons that could be better but some are better than others. I just got an old Peterson that smokes real well. I have an Oom Paul from Savenelli that is real good. I just got a Savenelli from 1970 and it has smoke very nicely. I have several other estates 2 Kaywoodies from the 30's and a BBB from the 50's that smoke great. All of those pipes were well under $100 and I think they could fit into your budget. Look at Ebay there are some great deals there.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
I bought a Saveneli from the Duca Carlo line a few years back intending on it being my "knock around pipe". That pipe smokes great and still looks new as the day I bought it. I believe new they are in your price range and come in shapes from lumberman to oom paul.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Welcome to the forums

If your limited to $30-$50 I'd say buy estates...I tossed this very issue around when I started smoking, got some good advise but went ahead with a bunch of cheaper pipes and wasn't satisfied

For your Q, Peterson QC seems to have fallen off most notably.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome to the forums. In that price range I'd recommend estates too. I know that can seem daunting since your just getting into the hobby.
I would look at reputable estate dealers. MKELAW Pipes, a sponsor on the left, has some pipes in that price range. Google Pulver's Briar, James Island Piper, and Viking Pipe Club of Saint Louis. These guys all sell estates in that range. The advantage you get over a random ebay seller (there are good ones too) are guys who have a little more knowledge of pipes, probably have cleaned or restored them before resale, and decent vendor reps.
If your wanting a new pipe, I'd recommend the lower end Savs like Tarzan mentioned. Also someone mentioned that Smoking Pipes (on the left) had Tsuges for $50 that we're smoking really well.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
As Chris stated... stick with a good estate, you'll get more bang for your buck that way.
I will say that for mid range Stanwell's have really excellent quality... you can pick up an excellent estate Stanwell for about $30 an you wont be disappointed. of course that just my opinion. :puffy:

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I have two Savinelli Baronet Bruyere pipes that are $60 new (each) and they smoke very well. You just have to like a rusticated finish. As Ford famously said, you can get it in any color, as long as it's black.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
If your limited to $30-$50 I'd say buy estates
+1
If you're diligent you can get a decent pipe for that price on an auction site, but as a brand new pipe, decent ones start around $100. FWIW, when it comes to brand new pipes, I'd break it down like this:
>$70 gets you a fair to decent pipe

>$100 gets you a decent to good pipe

>$150-200 gets you a good to very good pipe
But as in all things, there are exceptions. Sometimes you can get a great pipe at $70 and a crappy one at $200.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I have two Savinelli Baronet Bruyere pipes that are $60 new (each) and they smoke very well. You just have to like a rusticated finish. As Ford famously said, you can get it in any color, as long as it's black.
+1 I have a 510EX and a 121EX. Along with my 2 Velanis, you have my 4 favorite pipes. you can get lucky in the Estate market too. I paid $5 for a Uhle's Golden Grain because someone has it mislisted as "Ukle's"
If you're new I say buy a couple of good smokers new in the upper end of your budget. Then once you get a feel for things and what to look for, start rolling your dice in estates. I thought I was pretty brilliant buying 8 estates for $15 one time, turns out only a couple have the slightest potential to be of any quality and that's after I put a bunch of work into them.
If I had $50 to spend on ANY pipe right now, I'd buy a ANOTHER Baronet Bruyere (or Savinelli Sitting/Standing, almost the same thing)
**EDIT** Read your post a little closer, my impression from what I've read is that Savinelli and Stanwell have held their quality pretty well. The others I'm not sure.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I have a Peterson Donegal Rocky that my wife got for me around $100, and I like it very much. But alas, I am a new pipe smoker and maybe I just haven't tried a real good brand yet. However, from what most of the chaps on here have been telling me if you like the pipe and you get enjoyment from it, it is a good pipe!

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
I have one Savinelli, and once I figured out that the draft hole was supposed to be straight, I was dissapointed because the draft hole was drilled far out of line, and I can't even pass a pipe cleaner through it. By time I figured this out, the pipe had been heavily smoked so there was no chance of a refund/exchange. When I clean it out after a smoke, I always see liquid running back down to the bowl. I opened up the draw with a bigger drill bit the other day, but that only did so much.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I had a Savinelli Sherwood Rock 620 that had a thin but tall chamber, and it got really damned hot. It was the design that made it that way, not specifically because it's a Savinelli.
If you want to save $$$, I would try pipesandcigars.com and look in the under $50 section. Pearwood root (from Mr Brog or on eBay) makes a very decent pipe too and they are usually similarly inexpensive.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums, dozo. :clap:
If you only have $50 to spend on a pipe, I think you're in the wrong hobby. :lol:

However, there is a price point for every budget, and I suggest Tsuge from SmokingPipes.com
The estate pipe idea is attractive, but I could never smoke an estate because

I would always think that it had been dropped in the toilet bowl, or worse. :rofl:
Who gets rid of good pipes, anyway? Some guy's widow, I guess.

dozo46

Lurker
Jan 1, 2013
Thank you all for your generous and informed advice. I especially appreciate you identifying sellers who you trust. Your site offers a wealth of information. A great place to spend time, pipe in hand, during my rainy northwest weather.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Who gets rid of good pipes, anyway? Some guy's widow, I guess.
I totally can understand not wanting an estate pipe. When I first heard of people buying used pipes, I threw up a little. ;)
But I've done a complete 180 on the subject. Sometimes the collector wants to trim down his collection. Other times the pipe was found by a reseller - who's only reason for buying was to re-sell in the first place. I think the estate market is a good choice for someone who has limited funds but wants a decent pipe.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
Welcome aboard Dozo.
Cant go wrong with a Savinelli, I've got 3 and like them all.

A great bang for the buck is a $25 Mr. Brog's from eBay or Amazon.

The more you watch this form you will find some members with collections

worth $10,000 and no pipe under a couple of hunder but you will also find

a LOT with no pipe purchased for over $100 you still enjoy a large collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.