PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I now have approximately 12 pipes - around 9 briar and three cob. All of my briars are in the $100 price range, more or less. Two of the briars are Savinellis. The Savinellis were the first two briars that I purchased based on recommendations from this forum (nothing smokes like a Sav - and you all weren't joking), and I must agree that both of my Savinellis are superlative in these areas (though I'm sure there are more areas):

*For the price, they are perfectly crafted. No flaws.

*Both smoke amazingly well, right out of the box

*They both can pass a pipe cleaner without gymnastics (both my 320 and my 626)

*Both feel wonderful in hand - and especially the 320
I have other brands as well, but none of the others excel in all these areas combined. Though most excel in some of these areas, none of the other brands in the $100 price range excel in all, as do my Savs.
This weekend I'm thinking of purchasing a pipe in the $175 range. I could of course opt for another 320 which just fits my hand so amazingly well - and I just may do that.
I'd like some recommendations for another large bowl pipe from another marque that can do what my Savs can do. I'm interested in the Nanna Ivarssons in that price range, and wonder if they would be a good choice. I'd be interested in a Peterson in that price range, and again - I'd like it to be able to smoke well, be without flaws, and pass a cleaner.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Savinelli Monsieur 673KS

savinelli_monsieur_673ks.png

curl

Apr 29, 2014
The first good pipe I bought was a Savinelli Ginger's Favorite. I smokes like a champ.
I wanted an author for my next episode of PAD, and I looked real hard at the 320s. A few of them were in my shopping carts while I continued to explore. But then I found and purchased a Brebbia author for less money and in a slightly different shape that appealed to me.
I'm a slightly different kind of guy.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I wanted an author for my next episode of PAD, and I looked real hard at the 320s. A few of them were in my shopping carts while I continued to explore. But then I found and purchased a Brebbia author for less money and in a slightly different shape that appealed to me
I have a Brebbia which costs more than both of my Savinellis. Won't pass a pipe cleaner all the way through. Beautiful pipe. Smokes great with a dry tobacco. But it's a bit fussy with a wet tobacco due to the pipe cleaner issue.

Reactions: Strike Anywhere

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I love my 320. It smokes lats like a champ, that's where it really shines, but also works well with Aros. I wanna grab a couple more from a few different sav series. There's a brebbia fat bob author that I want BAD...

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
The two pipes I like the best so far are my Sav 320 and my Peterson System 314 P-lip. Completely different approaches to the pipe. I could see purchasing the range of both over the years.
What I really enjoy about my Peterson 314 is it's small size and light weight. The System and the P-lip just work for me. My morning smoke that I just finished was with this pipe and Orlik Golden sliced. Perfect smoke. No relights. No gurgle. Easy to pass a cleaner into the System.
Most of my interests are in tradition: traditional wet shaving, fountain pens, slip-joint pocket knives, automatic watches. The System P-lip fits in with that traditional approach.
The 320 - I don't think I've ever read of anyone who didn't like this pipe. Of all the variants of this pipe, I really like the looks of the one I purchased - the Sistina model. Perhaps the next will be a Seta - with no stain - just the briar grain.
So I'm thinking my next purchase will be another Peterson with a 3/4 or full bend. P-lip. Perhaps one of the Sherlock Holmes series. Or maybe another 314 System.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
andya, seeing as you like your Sav's so much I would recommend staying with Italian pipes. They have a more open draw than Peterson and will smoke cooler and dryer for a new comer. Mastro de Paja makes some very nice pipes that smoke very well for your 100.00 price range. This are a couple of examples.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/mastro-de-paja/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=142300

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/mastro-de-paja/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=142295
Here is another Italian brand Ser Jacobo that is a little more money, but should be a great pipe.

http://briarblues.com/erm14.htm
Another good Italian brand is Don Carlos.

http://www.mkelaw-pipes.com/html/pipee3394.html

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I have a Rossi in the same shape. I do like the way it fits in my hand - and it's not nearly as heavy as I was afraid it might be, so I can clench it just fine, too.

Jan 8, 2013
Of all my pipes, the Peterson XL90 fits most comfortably in the hand, and my St Patty's Day 2013 xl90 is my best smoker. I have two St Patty's Day Xl90s now, 2013 and 2014. And I'm quite certain my next Peterson purchase will be the same shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.