PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sladeburns

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Just recently picked up a couple of Savinelli 320's ( Deluxe Milano KS and Hercules EX).
Those of you with 320's or other similar Authors, what tobaccos have you smoked that really sing in that pipe shape?
Thanks!

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I think pairing has a whole lot less to do with shape than other factors. In fact, the only part of shape that I can see making any appreciable difference is bowl geometry. Wood and curing and drilling has a lot more to do with a pairing, in my estimation.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
The shorter/wider bowl dimensions of the 320 work well with most blends for me, no one in particular, I used to go by the looks of a pipe when I first starting smoking (aesthetics still play a major role in selection) but bowl dimensions are the first thing I look at when selecting a pipe these days, I prefer shorter/wider bowls.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm currently breaking in a new Rossi 320, and Prince Albert seems to do fine in it - though my personal preference tends toward more Latakia-heavy blends, and I suspect that the wide, deep bowl of the 320 will handle them quite nicely. Once I get around to trying some, I'll report back. :puffy:

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have one 320 dedicated to aromatics and another to latakia heavy blends. They seem to work well with either.

glwanabe

Lurker
Nov 23, 2013
I have two 320's, a Rossi Rubino, and a Savinelli Roma. I like my heavier lat blends like Frog Morton, Larrys blend, McClellands 5110 and the such in the the 320's. The Rossi is almost exclusive to Frog Morton Cellar.
Blends such as House of Lords, Squadron Leader, or other lighter English are used in deeper bowls like a Rossi or Sav 101 model.
I only have 10 pipes and all have seen more than one bowl of all of my blends and smoked well no matter what bowl, but certain pipes just feel right with a particular blend.
McClellands club blend Scottish Woods was a great smoke in the Sav 320. Need to get some of that blend. Sent some to my Sister, and her Husband, and they really enjoyed it in a MM General cob.

Status
Not open for further replies.