PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have three Savenelli unfinished pipes, by which I mean, I bought them unfinished and they have slowly finished themselves as I have smoked them. The oldest, a zulu 404, I bought in the 1980's and it has developed a solid walnut color. My other two are a bent Dublin and a straight panel billiard/pot (rather short bowl). These all were sold as seconds in a basket pipe motif, but have few and inconspicuous fills. More recent advertised versions seem to be somewhat heavier; mine are all surprisingly light weight. I think smoking an unfinished pipe and watching it mellow into a superb natural finish is one of the most mellow of pipe smoking experiences. Anyone else experienced with these? Or other brands of unfinished pipes?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, many! That's all I bought 50 years ago, and a couple of Parker pipes found in baskets last year are also treasured unfinished pipes. I have a Wilke and a few others from the earlier period. One day I will post photos. You?
I love the finish, the smoke, and the attachment to its acquisition and all the years in between.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
MSO, funny you should ask. I came across these two hidden away in a cookie tin a few weeks ago, and gave them both a good clean up. They were bought as basket pipe about 20 years ago. Both unmarked, except with the Savinelli logo, and Italy. Shapes 812, and 123. Both fine smokers!
basketpipes-010-600x450.jpg

basketpipes-012-600x450.jpg

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I purchased an unfinished Nording billiard about a year ago.
A few smokes in:
20150322_2054242-600x337.jpg

Today:
20161129_113344-600x450.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to add a few more unfinished pipes to the stable when the time is right. I like the look and 'process' of darkening an unfinished pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's the spirit! I love these things. I'm smoking Royal Yacht in my bent Dublin formerly unfinished Sav right now. I feel like the pipe gods are rewarding me for having the faith to select a pipe that shows the raw briar. (Re photos, I'm a tech dyslexic; I think the devices have a sort of mindset that is part of their programing, that directly contradicts my brain circuitry, so I can make a mistake out of nearly any clear directions, and do. Hate the fact, but it's true. Used to love celluloid photography, used it in my work, and though I do take occasional digital photos, I have lost my connection to the process. Love the smell of new film going into the camera, etc., even the wait for processing.) To illustrate, the software has thrown back even this little post, sans photos, twice! I'm the Typhoid Mary of digital tech.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When Savenelli started promoting their Rossi line of pipes in the last few years as their economy line, it appeared that they would close down or diminish the unfinished pipe line, but in fact, they still seem to be available, on PC, for example, and at my local independent pipe shop in a basket-full. The ones I've seen advertised seem to be heavier than unfinished pipes of the past, but not hugely -- they're more like 1.8 or 2 oz rather than 1.4. After a year or so the finish becomes so developed and mellow, it is as good as the best smooth finishes, deep and resonant.

willc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
The unfinished Sav's are spectacular pipes.

I got my first one in 2012 from my Secret Santa, a full bent billiard, and was able to purchase a straight billiard and a pot a couple years ago.

When I got those two I think they were 30-35 a piece, now I see them going for about fifty but they are still a bargain at that price.
For a cheap factory pipe they deliver the goods in terms of looks and performance.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Beside my Meer's, I have an old Kaywoodie White Briar that is one of my work pipes, about a month ago I got some floor tile glue on it and it was gummed up pretty bad so I sandblasted it down to the bare briar and decided to keep it like that, I work in a wood shop so it don't get to dirty but it is darkening slowly, it's the one on the bottom in the pic, the other work pipe got burned while sweating copper lines.
imag0380-600x336.jpg

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I'll dig up some photos. I have a Savenelli Noce 106 that I love and it's aged nicely, and a Nording Signature that is probably my favorite pipe and travels everywhere with me. I really like unfinished or natural pipes, I love to watch the changes and how they become unique to me, just like a meerschaum. The color tells a history and a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.