PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I just pushed the button on a Sav Gaius 320 smooth.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=149811
Anyone have any experience with the Gaius 320? I know JimInks has one that I think he likes.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Very nice grab darwin. I have been lusting after a 320 for quite some time and never seem to end up with one. I hear nothing but good things about the shape though.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
SP has several Gaius 320s on the site. I picked the one that had the prettiest grain and was the lightest.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Darwin: I don't like the Gauis 320. I love it! It's a perfect clencher, well balanced and sharp looking. Just a terrific pipe.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Good to hear. Thanks. I wobbled back and forth between the Gaius and a Rattray Chubby Jockey for quite a while. Nothing against the Chubby but I think I made the right decision. The "army mount" stem eases some of the slightly overbearing visual heft of the standard 320 shape.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I was always very partial to military mount pipes; I have a lot of them. This 320 is a really good smoker, and the balance is so good that it makes the pipe seem lighter than it is. I've devoted it to straight Virginias, particularly FVF. I have several pipes I smoke FVF in, but this one seems to be the one I keep wanting when I smoke FVF these days. I have been tempted to smoke Saint James Flake in it, but no, I have a winning combination going, so I'm not breaking something that's fixed! :D

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Been wondering what blend I should try first. I think I have my answer.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have always liked the 320, but really like it with that military mount stem.
002-033-17018.jpg

curl

Apr 29, 2014
Nice pipe.

An army mount just seems more natural, more functional to me on a big pipe.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Well it's not an actual army mount, just a standard Sav tenon/mortise setup, but the salutary effect on the lines of the pipe can't be denied. Makes me wonder how many army mounts I see in the catalogs are merely cosmetic.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
Althought it's not a true army mount, in terms of friction fit vs standard mortise/tenon, would the cap still help in being able to remove the stem while hot without damaging it?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
That is a fine looking Briar. I love the author shape, it just seems to feel right, I hope it smokes as well as it looks, congratulations Darwin.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
As far as the cap helping to keep the shank from cracking I doubt it makes much difference. The briar is so thick there that cracking is unlikely to be a problem even if the shank were of a normal configuration. I'd nevertheless want to observe the same cool-down precautions as I do with any other pipe because although the shank might not be harmed by hot removal the tenon very well could be.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Even with silver spigots and Peterson military mounts, I wait until the pipe is cool. I never take chances.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Well I've had a few bowls through the Gaius now and it is a very sweet handful and a fine smoker despite having the shank drilling well off the bottom of the bowl. Gonna be something of a dottle factory but that's not a particularly big deal as long as it doesn't affect the smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.