PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I got this Savinelli 320 EX today from an ebay, make an offer, auction. I use to think this style of pipe wasn't very attractive until I smoked the first one I got from an earlier ebay win a few weeks ago. I was really surprised at how well it smoked, so I went on a Sav 320 spree. I've even got two estates coming from Italy. Anyway this EX is pretty cool but I need to find a new stem for it. What's my best option?
img_0273-600x400.jpg

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I had a similar problem with a 122 I emailed Savinelli and they had a USA distributor who contacted me and offered to replace the stem for $35. It's been less than a week since I sent it so I can't comment on the service

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Any pipe repairman can make you a new stem. However, as I found out the hard way, the quality will be vastly different. I like captpat's method as in theory you should get a stem that is as close to original as possible. Other's I would consider are Tim West and Walker Briar Works. I would stay away from Norwood's Pipe Repair unless you want it fast and do not care about quality.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
mcitinner1 ---
Making exact duplicate stems is my specialty. I've made hundreds of them.
Here's an old Dunhill 472 (LB) stem from the 1930's, and an S. Bang that both needed one.
PM me if I can be of assistance.
bQBoBle.jpg

QrNXFqg.jpg

bIlYRTs.jpg

BMAtkX8.jpg

TTZDok0.jpg

bOF4f7s.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
472's in excellent condition are quite collectable, and the owner was afraid to smoke it because of how thin the material had become behind the button (around .134" as I recall). He didn't want to punch a tooth hole in an original, so had a "smoking stem" made.
P.S. --- I've since figured out how to create a 45-degree fillet around the tenon, so could make an even better copy today:
tUQRQ0A.jpg

The S. Bang was pretty much the same deal. It measured .130" in its "green state", and getting it back to black would have either cut through to the airway or left it too thin to survive for long.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
That makes sense georged..... I wish I could find a 472 LB, they don't come around often. Impressive work you've done there.....I've got a few old (1920's) Dunnies that I smoke, just don't dare clench... I may get in touch when funds allow :puffy:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Can't go wrong with a 320. I have two and both are champion smokers. Easy fix- softy bit. Or you'll have to ship the pipe out for restemming.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Good call Daniel, it actually came with a softie bit on it. I want this one to look original, the EX is larger obviously, and quite a handful.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I had a dunhill stem made. Cost me $73.00 or so...it was a saddle bent for a shellbriar...

very nice work and I live that fillet on the tenon! georged.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
George, I knew your work looked familiar.
^ If he's offering, I would definelty have him fix it.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Hello Georged, It sounds like you're the man I need for this new stem. Tell me what you require to get the show on the road. Stan
PM sent

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Hold the phone....! That's awesome.
How can I go about getting a saddle stem on my 320? My 320 has the same finish. It must be fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.