PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Dear Sasieni experts - How would the Two Dot Sasienis compare to the One, Four, Eight Dots? I know that the Two Dot is not a second line, but could have a tiny fill. So, should I compare the relationship between the Two Dot and the other "Dots" as Dunhill Bruyere - Dunhill DR instead of Dunhill - Parker (Made in England)? Apologies if this was a stupid question, I just won a Two Dot in eBay as my first Sasieni and would like to know the history behind it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've never even held a Two Dot, so I can't comment on the comparison. But, I wouldn't call the Two Dot a seconds line, like Sashar, etc. It's just a lower grade Sasieni. I suspect like most lower grades, it smokes just as well as a Four Dot. By my experience, even Sasieni 2nd lines, like Windsor, etc. have very good stem work. So, I'll also assume that a Two Dot would have a pretty decent stem as well. Post pix when it arrives, as mentioned, we don't often see Two Dots.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Thanks.
eBay Link
Would this help? And now that you've mentioned that they aren't often spotted, I am also curious if the Two Dot was produced for only a short time.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nice Hurlingham shape! I'm not sure how long Two Dots were made. Chance mentions in your add that a King Size Two Dot is rare, I think he is correct.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Oh, the seller is a member here? Thanks. I'm nothing close to an expert, but I consider this a steal. Only hopes are that the condition would be as good as the photos indicate haha.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Ah ha. Good to know that he's a reputable seller. A bit off topic, but could you tell me what the major pipe shows are, and about when they take place? I've never been in the States since I started smoking a pipe, and attending one is on my bucket list.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
That is a beauty!

I have a decent bent two dot, the stamping is almost gone but I love the shape. I have read the two dots are very rare, only made for a very short time. Enjoy!
Don

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The list is longer than you'd think, with favorites varying by person. Everyone would agree, though, that Chicago is the largest by far. It generally takes place over an extended weekend in early May, sometimes a weekend later.
After that probably comes Las Vegas (late October/early November), and a host of comparatively smaller but vibrant and extremely worthwhile events. In no particular order they include Columbus (mid August), New York (held in Newark in early March), St Louis (mid February), Richmond (late Sept/early Oct), TAPS (mid April), KC (mid-late Sept), and Fort Worth (early October). The dates are general; for many of these shows sometimes the exact weekend floats a bit. My apologies for any I've forgotten.
I think almost everyone who's been to one of these events would agree that attending a show, any show, is a wonderful experience and shouldn't be missed if you have the time and money to go.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The 2 Dot was a brief attempt to identify a level of pipe that Sasieni judged to be a first, but with lesser quality grain.
I hope to get to the Chicago show one of these years, but May is always a very busy time for me professionally and just about impossible to make the time commitment. The Vegas show is about 1/4 the size, but it's Vegas and people who regularly attend both shows have told me that Chicago is more intense and exciting, but Vegas is more fun and relaxing. I enjoy the Vegas show every time I go.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The 2 Dot was a brief attempt to identify a level of pipe that Sasieni judged to be a first, but with lesser quality grain.
Yup.
A marketing idea that arguably should have worked, but was too complicated (or something). Humans like to keep their actions "binary simple," I guess.
I remember Two Dots being the best pipe offered at Camp Lejeune's PX 45 years ago. Cost $25. The Petes on the shelf below them were $12.
I hope to get to the Chicago show one of these years, BUT...
18-6-1-top-10-excuses-to-not-exercise-2.png

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
:rofl:
Yeah I know. People would like me to go to Chicago and I would like to go to Chicago, and I could go to Chicago but the consequence of taking 5 days away is the avalanche of shit that always happens when I take time off during a production and the weeks of working the plunger to get rid of it. Don't worry George. I'm hanging it up after this one so next year.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Thanks for the input everyone! It seems that my Two Dot would likely be even better than my initial expectations and that's excellent. Please forgive my ignorance, but what would be the approximate size of most pipe shows (i.e. Vegas) in terms of the venue and people involved? Would it be something that one can spend an entire day at?

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Ahhhh, so YOU'RE the one who beat me out on that one! }:)
Worry not, you're going to love it. The 2-dot is just as good as the 4, just not quite as good on the grain. Any Sasieni, fishtail or no, is an excellent pipe!
Bill

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
You can never go wrong with a Sasieni. Two Dots were just short of making the grade to Four Dot. The grain may be less attractive or it may have a small fill. Anything more than that would be relegated to a second line. With some Two Dots, it can be difficult to see why it wasn't a Four Dot. Every Sasieni I've had, One Dots, Four Dots, Two Dots, and even the seconds (Mayfair, Old England, etc) had wonderful stem work and all smoked great!

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I agree with tschiraldi. I have several family era Four Dots including an "Appleby" which is almost indistinguishable from my Two Dot shape 74. With the exception of a mediocre "Royal Stuart" they are all excellent pipes.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Thanks for all the input guys! I'm anxious to receive it.
@Bill haha, I certainly had great internet connection. Better luck next time

Status
Not open for further replies.