PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This has to be a pretty rare pipe, and unsmoked with box and papers. I thought it might go $800 or so, but it far exceeded that.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Rare-1923-Specially-selected-Sasieni-pipe-duplicated-1-dot-Unsmoked-w-box-/172661727185?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=T7gpRwTUHdKxW7KcBeymZ03Qzyg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
The box has "Saddle"on it, or at least it looks like that. The rest of the box seems to match up.

Two bidders wanted this one pretty badly.
s-l1600.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
"Matured by Patent Process" indeed.
Bake the blocks a shipment at a time in an oven for a long time, discard the ones that crack, and use the survivors. :lol:
The world was once a simpler place. :puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Gotta love the stratospheric snipers! Still, there can't be too many unsmoked "specially selected" duplicated one dots floating around, much less one with its original box and paper. Wonder what happened to the sock?

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
It may well have varied by mfr; even by model within a given mfr. I only have isolated data immediately at hand (eg at least some Ben Wades had socks by '39).
What makes it tricky is the scarcity of surviving packaging that is known to be original and complete. I've seen many examples of pipes in incorrect boxes and/or socks etc. Failing that contemporary ads or company literature are useful, but don't always show whether or not a sock was included. Early Dunhill catalogs would be a great place to look but I'm traveling and don't have access to any.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It would be interesting to learn when fitted cases made the transition to fabric socks.

I'm not sharing this with my wife. Are we a bunch of weirdo's or what??

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Early Dunhill catalogs would be a great place to look but I'm traveling and don't have access to any.
Jon, I just looked in the Dunhill 1927 About Smoke. No socks shown, but they would sell you just about anything else! :wink:
edit: Silly me, the Dunhill man used an Antelope Leather glove!
dunhillglove-600x468.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The pipe itself looks genuine. Of course, with these old Sasieni pipes, I like to see the stem off to check for the hardware. Note also the sweeping cross grain on both sides of the stummel, A LOT nicer than the grain one sees on the "Specially Selected" pipes made...um, I mean being sold, in Italy.
:)

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
If memory serves me correctly the seller did not claim the box to be original to the pipe and it is in very decent condition.

So never mind the box , consider it an extra. I love the pipe , but it is not a LB :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.