PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nope, I didn't win the lottery, this is not my set but I thought it was worthy of sharing with the British briar fans.
I stopped by JB Hayes today in Fair Oaks VA for some My Mixture 965. Usually the owner, John Hayes and King work on Thursdays and I always enjoy chatting with them. (John Hayes would make a fascinating Radio show interview subject) John spied the Sasieni I was smoking and asked if I wanted to see a seven day set of Eight Dot, patent-era pipes. Yes, I sure did.
John recently had an opportunity to buy this set from the gentleman he sold it to in 1971 at the Georgetown Tobacco Shop in DC. He told the US Army Major, if it ever were to sell it, to give him a shot at it. The soldier, long retired, came into the shop last week with the set and is thinning his herd. All seven pipes are still in the original case. All have been used, but would clean up without a lot of effort. There is no stem damage or even teeth indentions. John is not sure if he is going to keep it, or restore and put it on the market. Its too steep for my blood, that is for sure. I didn't have my reading glasses with me and I couldn't read the pipe model.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Very cool Al. The shapes, I'll take a shot,

Stamford

Sandown/Pembroke

Melton

Derwent/Haselmere

Warwick

Hurlingham/Buckingham

Amesbury
Just guessing because it's fun.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Ssjones:
Thank-you, Sir, for the offer. Although my hairs are twitching, I would have an impossible time convincing The Chairman (my wife) of the necessity of this capital expenditure. Sadly, I will have to reach 56 Dots the hard way: Two, or Four, or Eight at a time!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That set is quite the sight! I've never seen a seven day set of 8 dots. I own at least seven 8 dots, but all were purchased separately. That $3500 price point estimate seems correct. Depending on condition, might even go for more.
I wonder if this was originally a seven day set or if the original owner had them cased. That's the wrong Sasieni logo for 8 dots. Too late.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I forgot to ask John about that, they were sold in '71, well past the Patent era.

John also showed me an incredible GBD Unique with a gigantic scroll carving that wrapped around the pipe like a loose ribbon, but I forgot to take a picture of that one (unsmoked...)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
While there's a little bit of debate about what year the 8 dot logo ceased to be made, the 8 dot stem was gone by 1946, which is the first year that this logo was used. The 8 dot was briefly reintroduced in the 1980's, I think, by the successor company.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
"The 8 dot was briefly reintroduced in the 1980's, I think, by the successor company."
Yes it was. The other thing that catches my eye is the pattern of the rustication on the three rustic finished pipes. It's all very up and down, and somewhat "boring" compared to what one often sees with this finish on other Sasieni pipes. Al, I think you need to go back, with your glasses, imquiring minds...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Actually, we were all looking (John, King and myself) at the rustification and how it followed the grain so nicely.
These pipes all had fish-tail Sasieni logos and patent numbers, I can't remember when that stamping was changed, without looking it up, guessing the late 40's?

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
John also showed me an incredible GBD Unique with a gigantic scroll carving that wrapped around the pipe like a loose ribbon, but I forgot to take a picture of that one (unsmoked...)
Hi Al,
How inconsiderate to NOT take pictures of a Horace Jameson GBD Unique. Jameson worked at Barling through ~1960 (per Jon Guss) and was hired by Cadogan where he continued to make unusual pipes many that would look more current today than in the 1960s for (mainly) GBD and Comoy. The pipe that you describe could only be his work.
As Jameson's production slowed, others made Uniques as well. GBD 'allowed' selected shops to pick a few Uniques from time to time and they heavily romanced his work. If you knew what you were looking at you could easily pick out his pipes but by the late 1970s there were only a few of his lesser pipes available.
I believe that Smoker's Haven got the lion's share of his better pieces but obviously John wrangled one out of someone. Please send regards to John and his family and for heaven's sake, take pictures of the pipe! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.