PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Post family era pipes from the late 1980's. Myself, I would rather have a nice family era "second", or, if one wants to spend the money, a family era Four Dot. The family era pipes are great smokers.
Dave

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The five dot was a marketing ploy by the successor company, just like the old family era eight dots. In the case of the 5 dot, they figured that people would be attracted by the inference of better quality. The successor company also released pipes featuring the old fishtail logo, the "specially selected" logo and eight dot stems.
The original eight dot was strictly a marketing ploy, the idea being that the firm's distinctive 4 dot logo could be seen from any direction if it was visible on both sides of the stem. It was not a denominator of superior quality over the 4 dot Sasienis.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Thanks for the replies gents.
I assumed that the extra dot was a 'trump' of the earlier 4-dot. Nonetheless, the pipes appeared to be handmade from decent briar so they weren't junk but it's hard to follow a legendary name in the eyes of smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.