PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Many years ago when I was in the Air Force we had a master sergeant that was in charge of our shop. He smoked a pipe. And being the type of person who enjoys a good laugh at the expense of others I decided to have some fun with ole sarge.
One morning sarge placed his pipe on the desk as he walked to the men’s room. I picked up his pipe, emptied it’s contents, and with pipe in hand, walked over to the pencil sharpener. There were about 7 or 8 of us in the shop at the time. I had one guy keep watch for sarge as I quickly sharpened a pencil and then stuffed the shavings into the bowl. I placed the pipe back on the desk.
Sarge came back, and the first thing he did was to pick up his pipe and begin to light it. He puffed, and puffed. Huge plumes of white smoke circled his face. He then removed the pipe from his mouth and looked at the bowl. It looked like a burning bush. He smelled the bowl. Looked at it again, and puffed some more. I’ve never seen so much smoke emanating from a pipe. All of us were doing our best to not burst out laughing.
Finally, sarge emptied the bowl, and replaced the pencil shavings with real tobacco. We never told him, and he never asked.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
This reminds me of hot loading cigarettes with smokeless powder for all the bummers on field ops... They'd get a few puffs before the whole thing would just burst into flames... Good times.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
TopD, my father was a marine, WWII, south pacific campaign. Thanks for your service!

Status
Not open for further replies.