Sand Blasting vs. Sand Carving (J.T. Cooke, et al.)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
After doing some searches on pipe maker Andrew Marks, I came across this discussion group in which Marks, Bob Swanson and others talk about the difference between "sand carving" and sand blasting. I didn't know this, but apparently some makers like Cooke use a small, pencil-sized blaster to carve out the grain on a pipe, producing very regular and deep "blasts."
Andrew Marks. Bob, I notice that you do a lot of sand blasting. What do you think about the differences between sand blasting and sand carving. Tell me about this. There are several new sand carvers now. Why do you think that no one acknowledges that they are sand carving pipes and rather insist that they are sand blasting?
Bob Swanson. Andrew, I am not sure why no one has claimed this art as their "art." And it is truly an art.
[...]
Sand carving is distinctly unique from sand blasting. [...]
and carving allows the pipe maker to determine what the finished product will look like without "having to" follow the wood grain as the pattern he wants to create. A pipe maker carves deeper and deeper into the briar surface, letting the sand carve and remove wood to the pattern he sees or wants to create, not necessarily following the natural grain. This is the difference that distinguishes sand carving from sand blasting.
Sand blasting is done with a gun and an orifice the size of the end of an average pen. Sand carving is done with a "pencil blaster," with an orifice the size of the point of a pen. The larger gun is used first in most cases with sand carving in order to see the grain pattern revealed; then the pencil blaster is used. Again, the large gun takes minutes, while the pencil blaster takes hours. Sand volume, the medium used and gun pressures are dramatically different with each gun used and with each pipe maker.

http://www.naspc.org/Archives/pipemakerop.html

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Bob Swanson - Perry White Pipes Interview

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-manufacturer-retailer-spotlight/bob-swanson-perry-white-pipes-interview/
Bob also revealed what is now known as "Sand Carving" a pipe as opposed to "Sand Blasting".
Jim Cooke is a well-known, award winning pipe maker that uses "sand carving". Bob considers Jim to be the "Picasso of Pipe Makers". Many of his pipes have very intricate, deep carvings. He had been doing this for years before it was revealed how he did it. No one could figure it out. Part of the secret is that he uses a special type of sandblaster that has a much smaller hole for the particles to exit. Think of sandblasting as a course process, and sand carving as a very fine intricate process. There was a lot of speculation of how Jim achieved the look of his pipes until he actually went to Chicago and showed a bunch of other pipe makers how he did it. This special process was not given a name until recently. It is now referred to as Sand Carving.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
You're exactly, right, Roth, but I never knew that Cooke did anything other than sandblast (I assumed he just used several bouts of really small or soft media to get those deep grooves). Still, it's interesting that pipe makers have until recently not owned up to what they were doing -- as if the pre-rustication or the actual sand-carving were some kind of cheating or whatever. I think many in the hobby tend to have certain assumptions about what is natural or unnatural that the pipe makers themselves may not always share.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pitch, thanks for the links and info, very interesting stuff. I did not know the word to describe Cooke's work was sand carving. I have known for a while that he did use a different tool to get those effects as it was discussed on a different site. I think his pipes are very unique and very cool looking. I am also a big fan of the traditional sand blast, but hope to own one of Cooke's pipes in the future. I have noticed that Lee Von Erck also seems to be sand carving some of his pieces like this one.

http://www.von-erck.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=d337c00b02e0ab818a4b0f000d3db31d&nStart=0&nPageID=9&nPipeID=1000

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, awesome looking pipe. I saw that one on Ebay, glad it went to you. How does it smoke? I have heard his pipes smoke great and that he has a proprietary oil curing process.

Dec 24, 2012
It actually just came about an hour ago. I had completely forgotten that I even bought the thing - if it never showed I don't think I would even have remembered, LOL. I must be getting old. Soon I will be wrapping my own Christmas presents and hiding my own Easter eggs.
It looks better in person than it did in the pics. I really like it but haven't smoked it yet,

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Harris, that Von Erck definitely looks like Cooke's "sand carving." Cool pipe! Congrats on the ebay win, peckinpahombre!

Dec 24, 2012
A few months ago I started a commission for a couple of pipes from Michael Parks. He told me at the time how excited he was because he had just purchased some fancy "pencil blaster" for his shop and was looking forward to doing some different blasts. My commission (now three pipes) will hopefully be done shortly. Will let you know how they look.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, as soon as you get home I expect a full report on that Von Erck.
pitch, I think we will be seeing more of this sand carving as more people begin using that tool Cooke has told people about. He may wish he never spilled the beans, because his stuff was unique.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, when I first began seeing Cookes blasts I considered them to be what I called a forced blast, meaning he is manipulating the blast and not following the original grain. I now have learned that this style is sand carving which makes sense. When I look at my blasts from Rad Davis or Brian Ruthenberg, I see blasts that follow the grain of the pipe which I happen to prefer more. My interest in a Cooke is that I do like the sand carving butt more so is the general consensus that he makes a great smoking pipe.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I believe JT and Lee's blasts are natural and not carving and I doubt very much that JT gave away any of his secrets to a group of carvers in Chicago or anywhere else. IMO these guys have perfected their techniques over years and hundreds of hours at the blast cabinet. 8O

Dec 24, 2012
Cooke does follow the grain for the most part, from what I can tell looking at his pipes. Call it carving if you want, but he is carving based on the natural flow of the grain. It's harder to see that with his black pipes, but you can clearly see that with his light-coloured pipes.
In any event, I don't care if he carves the pipe using the erect nipple of a virgin princess - I love the way his pipes look and feel.

May 31, 2012
"In any event, I don't care if he carves the pipe using the erect nipple of a virgin princess - I love the way his pipes look and feel".
LMAO! Priceless.

+1 :lol:

Of all the things I most desire, one of these deep superblasts is at the top of my list.
This is an interesting conversation, but I don't agree with the "sandcarving" terminology as that word seems to point to some quality that'd be sculptural or rusticated. I think the deep blasts do in fact follow the natural grain, but to a degree we aren't really accustomed to seeing and perhaps aren't completely familiar with as of yet, I know I've never held one, much less smoked one, so all I'm going off are the pictures. I'm pretty sure that when Dunhill first starting blasting pipes that there were folks who were horrified at such an unnatural industrial process being applied to fine briar and indeed for a long time the sandblasted pipes were thought of as "seconds" and relegated to the lower throngs of collectability in most circles. I'm so glad to see the art of sandblasting elevated to its highest imaginable level and I'm also happy that this elevation was an American innovation.
Fred Hanna wrote on this topic a while back...

http://www.naspc.org/Archives/blast.html

Allow me to add an additional point. A well-known collector has stated in print in the last year that Jim Cooke's sandblasted pipes are actually "sand carved." Some have interpreted this as implying that Jim's method has deteriorated the sandblasting art into a form of rustication. I trust that this was not the collector's actual intention, but it might have been the result of his comment nevertheless. This is misleading and possibly denigrates and negates Jim's excellent work, which I believe is simply the best there is.
Actually, the remark is quite puzzling in many ways. When one thinks about it, all sandblasted pipes are "sand carved" to some degree. That is why the blasting is done! In making a single pipe, Jim spends from 12 to 15 hours on sandblasting alone, quite in addition to all the other steps that go into that pipe. Does this make his sandblasts somehow different than most others? Of course it does! He seems to consistently bring out more detail, depth, and definition, in my opinion, than anyone. That is why his pipes are so damned much in demand. Jim Cooke is the "Bo Nordh of the Blast." Jim does not create false graining patterns with his technique. In fact, he told me that his first pass is done specifically to expose the grain patterns, which he further exposes and details in his following steps. Jim does not do any sort of rustication using the blasting process, other than the blasting itself, which could be seen as the most true and pure form of rustication there is.

Bruce Weaver has said

“I’ll do a cursory blast to get the block’s topography and find the rings. That will be my embarcation on the journey into how I’m going to attack the soft parts and highlight the rings,” said Bruce Weaver. “To do it right, you have to define what’s there. We don’t create the structure. We only enhance it.”

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2010/9/23/what-a-blast.html
...and J.T. Cooke has said this about wood, so clearly he seeks grain...

I was attempting to blast Grecian briar and I am sorry folks, that stuff, it makes beautiful smooth pipes, but if you want to go blast a piece of wood, go some place else. Because it has no real variation between the hard and soft areas. I stay as far from Grecian wood as I can. As far as the aging, I use Moroccan wood, and now I have started using some Italian wood. They are different and the Italian wood has to be treated a little differently. I like to get wood that is dry or semi-dry. I have my own curing process.

http://tobaccodays.com/interviews/j-t-cooke-in-a-class-all-his-own/
He also shared some info in a P&T interview, Vol 13 #1

The medium I use is part glass beads and part briar dust. The briar dust was a revelation...a happy accident...I started to see things I hadn't seen before...it helped define the soft and hard areas. Because it's briar blasting into briar, it tends to dig at the soft areas without necessarily taking much away from the hard areas...
3 different nozzles are used, the first stage is with the large nozzle, which displays grain evenly.

Then I go over it with the small nozzle, work around the bird's eyes and go around each of the individual rings and define the border between the hard and soft areas...each ring has got to be defined and that's with the small nozzle. Every millimeter of every ring is followed.
After that he uses the medium nozzle.

That's useful for rings that are twisting and going very deep. I try to follow the ring back as far as it will let me, and it can be frustrating because I'm seeing qualities in the wood that I can't get at yet...after that's done, after the third blasting, I again go over it with the large nozzle, and what that does is unify the texture. It brings all the wood fibers back so that they are individually apparent. Working with the small and medium nozzles, in a way I'm doing harm to the wood. In trying to follow each little wood fiber I kind of have to destroy it. The last blast has to be comparatively light, and it brings all the little fibers back into view. After it's been shot 3 times, you're not seeing too many fibers of wood. You're seeing where the rings are and where the bird's eyes are and where everything goes, but you're not seeing each of the individual fibers. They're there, I just have to bring that delicacy back. It's one fiber of wood next to another and the differences in their densities, so that's what the 4th blast does...

The result of this painstaking process is a sandblast with incredible delicacy and definition. So detailed is the texture that Cooke has often been accused of carving the pipes, or using a combination of carving and blasting.

This is sandblasting, pure and simple.
OGF FTW!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mister, great post and thanks for chasing down all that info. So I guess that Cooke does follow the grain and his methods are just more intricate than everyone else's.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Here are JT and Lee's blasting pages. 8O
http://www.cookepipes.com/About.aspx
http://www.von-erck.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=649a93f325909a5da7895d63397d7c89&nPageID=13

Status
Not open for further replies.