PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tab812

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Floyds Knobs, IN
I emailed SGT and this is the reply I got back (See both below). I am interested in your opinion, Do you think there is a shortage and do you think hoarding is the true cause?
My email:

Sent: 31 December 2011 01:44

To: enquiries@samuelgawith.co.uk

Subject: SG Products
Hello,
I live in the US and your product is in short supply.

It seems the UK has no problems with inventory, so is the shortage due to the US distributor?

Your website does not list the US distributor? Is there one?

Just wanting the answer as to why one of the best pipe tobacco brands being produced cannot be readily purchased in the US.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Sincerely,
Timothy Barclay
SGT reply:
Dear Mr Barclay.

Every two months we send a shipment of SG to the US.

There is no reason why there should be a shortage other than maybe people are coming across stocks and buying it all and hoarding.

Another shipment is due out end January.

Our distributor in the US is Phillips and King in CA.

Regards

Samuel Gawith & Co Ltd

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Well, I would imagine that the EU gets the lion's share of their production, and we get what's left after their needs are met. I'm sure that lack of availability has contributed to the "hoarding" when it's here to further exacerbate the problem.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Hear that? Everyone get your wallets ready to hoard the January shipment of SG blends! :rofl:
It really IS hoarding. I'm somewhat guilty myself. But I'm cellaring it so I don't really consider it hoarding. FVF is waaaaay better with some age on it. Just my 2 cents...
-Jason

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I don't smoke enough to hoard, so I'm gonna snatch a tin of the one I want before it all gets "cellared" by you hoarders. :nana:

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
it's not exactly hoarding--it's storing up supplies against bad times coming--

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My B&M finally gave up on the SGT products. They couldn't get anything for such a long time that they said the heck with them. I was smoing 1-2 tins/month of 1792. I did score a few blends from Iwan Ries a few months back so I need to contact them soon.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
dylan,

have you ever smoked it? Judging by the Vitamin N kick I got from Gawith and Hoggarth ropes, I'd NEVER pick up a tin of Black XX. I'd swear that s#!t was laced with crack the way the room spun...
-Jason
P.S.- John, if I see any 1792, I'll pick it up for you if you want. Not that SG tins are cheap here in NYS, probably the same price as online with shipping, but at least you'd get a few more tins... Let me know.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
To me it reads that the problem is with Phipps and King and not Samuel Gawith, you should all get on to your suppliers to make sure that they are ordering the right amount to supply the demand, no business wants to miss out on business.

tab812

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Floyds Knobs, IN
I also cellar "hoard" tobacco, as many others do, but my gut tells me there is a minimal amount of SG making its way to the U.S. The major e-tailers are constantly out of the stuff, which in my veiw excelerates the hoarding. In my case when I do finally find it I buy all I can.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
My two big SG products are Squadron Leader and Best Brown Flake, but, TBH, I am not trying very hard right now. I am smoking more Old Dublin instead of Squadron Leader, and am seeking alternatives to BBF. McClelland's VA #22 & #24, as well as Esoterica Tilbury & Dorchester have all been suggested, and I intend to try them all over the next few months. I did find an old tin of Va #24 at a smoke shop once, and that was quite tasty.

I will also probably ration my BBF a bit more. I have a 5 year old tin open now, and 10 cellared. That should last me a while. :puffy:

sweetbriar

Lurker
Feb 15, 2011
i emailed them awhile back and never got a reply..i do remember a tobacconist telling me he has a huge order in and got about 8 tins of several blends.. he was quite bummed about it too..

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
I have some 1792 on backorder with Pipes & Cigars. Maybe this means they'll get their shipment soon. Thanks for the post!!

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
For you snuff users on here, mrsnuff.com stocks Sam Gawith pipe tobacco as well. So if you're making a snuff order, you could toss some pipe baccy in as well. Just another option if you gotta scratch the Sam Gawith itch 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.