PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
As a fairly new pipe smoker I was gifted some tins of a variety of different tobacco's from a friend off the cigar forum I chat on a while back. One of the tins I was gifted was Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture. Now I recently had some SG Squadron Leader and thought it was really good. Actually one of my favorites to date. After finishing off the Squadron Leader I cracked open the tin of Skiff Mixture. I have found this to be a great tobacco. It's similar to the Squadron Leader but for me its got a little bit more of a kick to it. It's got more of a peppery/spice type taste to it than the Squadron Leader. Definitely something I could enjoy on a daily basis if I chose to smoke daily. At the moment I would have to say I prefer the Skiff Mixture over the Squadron Leader.
Has anyone else tried Skiff Mixture? Thoughts/Opinions?

wagnon85

Might Stick Around
Apr 25, 2010
Because of my like of Squadron Leader I have Skiff Mixture on my to buy list...Royal Yacht from Dunhill too...I'm noticing a nautical theme! hehe

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
+1 to both metalheadycigarguy and flyfishn.
Got them both, like them both but gravitate to Skiff when I want something with a bit more oomph. SL was available in bulk when the TAD kicked in for Sammie G stuff so I too have lots more of it. Nice problem to have though.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I like both but prefer Skiff. SL is more latakia focused while I find that Skiff is more of a Va/Oriental with a bit of latakia. I find Skiff to have more punch to it and to be more of a sweet spice and incense experience as compared to the one sidedness of SL.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
You don't really hear much about Skiff on this or any other forum. Squadron Leader seems to steal a lot of its thunder. I'd be interested to try it sometime but I'm not really digging that style of tobacco lately.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@ simenon

Its definitely is not as popular. At a local B&M I was asking the clerk if she had any Squadron Leader in the back as the shelf was empty and she of course replied no and they were out of stock. I then asked if she had any Skiff Mixture and she stated she never heard of it. I had my tin of Skiff Mixture with me as I was there meeting a friend and hanging out in their courtyard enjoying a pipe, so I showed her the tin. I told her the next time they do a Samuel Gawith order they should try to order some. I told her it would most likely sell out just like the Squadron Leader.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Any Gawith is a good buy, for that matter. Even if it was selling slowly at first, somebody is bound to come in and clean them out sooner or later.
If I was in more of an English or oriental mood I'd grab a tin, but I'm stuck on VAs for the most part.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I was at a tobacconist earlier this week and deliberated over SG Skiff or Dunhill Royal Yacht. I went with the DRY because it was over five years old, cost 25% more and was sealed in an after market val-pack. Skiff, of course, will be the next tinned tobacco I purchase.

davedyer

Lurker
Mar 15, 2013
Skiff is one of the best. Great flavor, has that sweet-musty taste, the latakia adds just the right amount of its unique character, smokes easily with out any bite, and it leaves a very pleasant after taste.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I'm with you rothnh. SL is not my favorite at all. Have been looking at Skiff for a while. Think I'll give it a try. :D

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I received a few bowls of Skiff from a person I trade with and right away the Latakia has the whistle blowing. But he likes hitting me with stuff I would never buy. This surprised me, the Latakia was in the back, you could taste it but not over the Orientals. The Virginians could have made more of an appearance but the sweetness could be attributed to them. That’s what’s great about having so many blends. The biggest problem, as always is the cut. Maybe I’m too hardcore flake, but it just gives me a better, well controlled and fuller smoke. This could easily be an all-day smoke for people. You won’t get blown away with the Latakia and it’s not going to burn you. If you’re a friend of the Frog Morton’s, you should be giving this a try.
Craig

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Hmm I may have to give this a shot....really haven't explored the oriental mixtures to much. Mostly taking on light English and VA blends

Status
Not open for further replies.