Samuel Gawith hardly any stock anywhere!?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

heimedvw

Lurker
Aug 2, 2015
Hello I'm fairly new to the pipe and tobacco community and seem that almost all the Samuel Gawith brands are out off stock at all of the major retailers across the net. I was wondering if this a normal occurrence or is it a result of the doomsday effect of the FDA and the news of Dunhill stoping production!? Also if their are any retailers on this page with any contacts with distributors will there be restocking of S/G anytime soon? Thanks any info would be appreciated.

heimedvw

Lurker
Aug 2, 2015
Samuel Gawith has a fair number of blends I want to try! So I'm hoping they get new stock at some point.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Samuel Gowith recently merged with Gowith Hoggarth. I've noticed that since the merger the supply of SG blends has become inconsistent. SPC.com seems to have the best right now.

Jul 12, 2011
I remember maybe 5 or 6 years ago FVF was impossible to get so when I would see a 250g available I would snag one or two, aging this stuff is outstanding so never a bad thing to have more. So if you find yourself asking the question why do some have large tobacco cellars, this is one of my major reasons; availability and aging :puffy:

heimedvw

Lurker
Aug 2, 2015
I have been wanting to try black xx, FVF and brown n4 kendel twist in a 50 gram tin to see if I like any of them. I have seen black xx in a 250g but don't wont to be stuck with a bunch if I don't like it.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Some Samuel Gawith blends are pretty popular like Full Virginia Flake and Squadron Leader etc., so its not uncommon to see them out of stock. We also just had International Pipe Smoking Day, and a lot of people placed orders, and there are also the hoarders that fear that the FDA will take every ounce of tobacco from the market. So its not uncommon to see certain blends out of stock as of late. Just keep looking the blends are out there, and if not they'll be back in stock shortly.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
This problem isn't your typical couple of blends that are super popular. On most sites SG is almost completely out of stock of everything. Definitely more noticeable of a problem over a couple of years ago.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I suspect that this shortage of SG blends is temporary. There is still a year and a half until the FDA axe falls hard. So I would think that there would be at least six months of sales left. Then again, perhaps Samuel Gawith just doesn't want to put up with the FDA flaming hoop jumping and is throwing in the towel. The US distributor isn't going to want to be stuck with stuff they can't sell here.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I don't know the reason. I just keep getting told by Skip that the distributors are saying to expect empty shelves of SG blends.
That's strange cause my local shop just started carrying SG blends... granted they're going for $21.65 a tin but they are fully stocked for the first time since I've been going there.
I just think they are having a hard time keeping up with the demand this FDA crap has started. SP just sold out of Lakeland Dark and a few days later had 183 tins back in stock. They are stocking blends but their popular blends are flying off the shelves.
It will go back to normal once this FDA crap storm blows over... of course, that's if mail order is still legal at that time... I kid, I kid, I don't want to add any more hysteria to the mix.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
I could most definitely see mail order sales going away. It's certainly possible considering we can't buy cigarettes online and ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.