PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Nice work! Really looking forward to this one. I still have to check out the Randy Wiley interview -- maybe this weekend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a great piece of pipe tobacco history in the making, and going back to the Eighteenth Century

as well. I always wondered what it was with these two similarly named outfits, and now I see the tale

unfolding, again. May they continue to produce their hearty/hardy blends into the future and in some

cases ghost our pipes as well. I've been to their Lake District and count my days there as among my

happiest. Wordsworth lore and old English music hall and sunset after ten p.m. in the summer. Ah.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Hmm... wonder if FVF will have that hint of Lakeland essence now? Food for thought. :wink:

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Excellent article Kevin and James. As usual pipesmagazine forum is on top of it.

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
Good to see in this era that instead of one of them going out of business they're joining to become a stronger, larger company that is sure to bring some interesting variety.
My thought also.
grinning-smiley-003.gif

A gleaming example that bigger is better.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
Interesting. I hope the fantastic tobaccos from each house goes unchanged.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I think it's great and I don't think the blends will be anything short of what both currently produce, fantastic tobacco!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Great article guys. Hopefully this move will ensure another two centuries.
What is keeping me from absolute panic is that they are keeping their own machinery. That should keep Lakeland contamination at bay. I've never had a problem from Samuel Gawith, but the few times I have tried G&H, it seemed like the unscented still carried some scent.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
It's a very good article.
@oldtoby
I sure hope they don't Change FVF. I love the flavor as it is.
Time to run to the B&M to pick up a couple tins for the cellar....

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Hmm... wonder if FVF will have that hint of Lakeland essence now? Food for thought.

I doubt it, G&H uses one machine for all their tobacco so the scented tobacco and the unscented tobacco gets contaminated in a sense, whereas SG has machinery for the unscented tobacco and one for the scented tobacco.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I doubt it, G&H uses one machine for all their tobacco so the scented tobacco and the unscented tobacco gets contaminated in a sense, whereas SG has machinery for the unscented tobacco and one for the scented tobacco.
Ah, that would explain the whiff of lavender in unscented GH blends.
I think it's surprising that I've never noticed any aroma transfer in SG tobaccos considering....:
q6PYFI4.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to thank for the report. So, thanks!

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
If it makes both companies stronger, I am all for it. To me, they embodie what is all pure in this vocation. Viva Gawith (hagarrth)!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I've smoked a lot more SG than GH. As others have mentioned, I do hope the SG line remains the same.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Sounds exciting. Any word on what this means for US distribution of both brands? SG has been with one large distributor for a while and GH distribution was just changed from a small company to another big wholesaler.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I see a discrepancy here:
"so the machinery is going and the men are going and the raw leaf is also going. There will be no layoffs or consolidation of employees. As far as the brand is concerned - the only difference is it will be made under a different roof. The men and machines will be the same."
"We are leaving the Kendal Brown house. What will happen after that is it will be turned into a snuff museum where people will be able to come and see the machinery working and see how snuff is made."
How does the machinery remain at Kendall House, but production move to GH?

I honestly hope that this works out, but change is inevitable. Let's hope that it is good change.

Status
Not open for further replies.