PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I saw some become available a few days ago and I just had to try it. I’ve heard the mythical tales of this elusive rope. I’ve heard the hushed whispers of its legendary strength, and how the nicotine will kick you straight in the face and make you feel like a small child, when you fancied yourself a man. “Only the strong need apply”, they say. I scoffed... I chain smoked cigarettes for 15 years. I’m pretty sure I can handle some pipe tobacco.
Holy hell was I wrong.
Now I’ll interject with the fact that (obviously) I’m not dead, so it ain’t THAT bad. But man, this is seriously some intense tobacco. Against my better judgement I bought 4 tins, because I know this stuff is rare in the states and I didn’t want to love it and never be able to find it again. I’ll say I’m glad I got 4 tins, these 8 oz will probably last me a decade or more. This is not a daily smoke, not by a long shot. I think this rope will age well and become some sort of oozing swamp beast in 5 or 6 years, so I’m excited about that prospect.
Flavor-wise, it starts out fairly tame. It’s remarkably similar to Irish Flake for the first quarter bowl. It’s dark, earthy, subtly sweet, herbal... overall quite nice. The second quarter on through the finish it ramps up the flavor. A strong Dark Fired type spice begins to take shape and it rarely lets up. The thing that really gets me though is the deep oil slick taste. It stays in your mouth for a long time, and it’s accompanied by a sort of astringent creosote flavor. It’s fairly bitter, maybe slightly sour.. and that’s what really separates this from your average genteel evening tobacco.
The nicotine, I’m ashamed to admit, really hits me over the head. I thoroughly enjoy it (I like a good buzz), but I falsely thought I’d be immune. I could feel it after 5 puffs. Sitting here typing this now, after a full bowl, my vision is jittery and I’m sweating. I don’t feel nauseous or have the old niccups, but I feel slightly south of sober, which has never happened after smoking a pipe.
My one complaint is that it’s a wet rope, and with no drying time (as recommended by Gawith), this thing is a raging bitch to keep lit. I have had to relight every 5 minutes even though I’m continuously puffing. Still... it’s one hell of an experience. Does it live up to the hype? Absolutely. Is it for everyone? Absolutely not. Give it a try if you’ve never had it and you’re looking for a full-bodied “manly” smoke. It’s quite a ride.

Oct 7, 2016
Great review. I usually dry mine out, so the relights aren’t really an issue. Can’t detect much difference in the flavor either way.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Great review. I love the blend! It’s great in the winter when you need a strong 20 minute smoke before you freeze your b..lls off. I smoke it very dry and in small corncob pipes.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've never had this rope, but I've had Brown and Black Irish X. Anyone know how it stacks up compared to those two?
jay-roger.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The ultimate experience for Strong Smoke fans. It is known by me and among my friends as "The Shit"... 8)
-- 5 parts Kandal Kentucky
-- 2 parts Brown Bogie
-- 1 part #4 Brown Rope
Slice the ropes to match the cut-width of your particular batch of KK (it varies a bit), rub out fully, measure, mix by hand, let everything dry somewhat more than you think is necessary, and jar.
All proportions are by volume / "pile size" and approximate, since precision doesn't matter, but weigh it if you prefer.
If this blend was sold as a pre-mix no other pipe tobacco would ever have to be produced, the world would be at peace, and everyone would be a billionaire. :D

Reactions: Burleybird89

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
It is known by me and among my friends as "The Shit".
Okay you've convinced me you're on to something. I'm much too lazy to make it for myself, so how much for a 2 oz bag of your hand-blended shit?

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Man you hit this one spot on ... first time I had it I thought I was going to end up with nicotine poisoning. 4 tins you say ... for me that would be a life time supply of brown no. 4

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
georged you are either a genius or some sort of madman! Good lord. I like a good buzz as much as the next guy, but maybe not as much as you and your pals!
Also, I’m intrigued to hear that others more knowledgeable than myself let this one dry. I usually let all my smokes dry at least 30 minutes. If this one suffers no ill effects, I’ll be doing the same next time I smoke No. 4.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'm working my way through 3 oz of bulk I bought at a local B&M. This might be blasphemous, but GH&C's Dark Flake is stronger to my system. Maybe because Dark Flake has dark-fired burley, and to my knowledge, the ropes are all fire-cured VAs? Splitting hairs, both are top of the scale in terms of nicotine strength. Using the TR scale, I'd rate both as "Extremely Strong." The only higher option is "Overwhelming," and I suppose there may be some tobaccos out there which are stronger than Brown Rope and Dark Flake, but I haven't encountered any. I can smoke a bowl of this and finish it... And not crave nicotine again until close to midday.
Aside from the strength, I enjoy the simple, full-bodied flavor of this rope. Because I'm a converted cigarette smoker, I wake up in nicotine withdrawal, and I find this goes very well with a cup of coffee with cream and sugar.
The thing that really gets me though is the deep oil slick taste. It stays in your mouth for a long time, and it’s accompanied by a sort of astringent creosote flavor. It’s fairly bitter, maybe slightly sour.. and that’s what really separates this from your average genteel evening tobacco.
I think this is dead on, and what separates it from the Dark Flakes and dark-fired Kentucky based blends. I find myself craving it even if it doesn't sound appealing. Great review, and glad you have enough to last you a while.
This is a grat description

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Georged, I'm going to have to try your mix! I have mixed Brown No. 4 with some of the Kentucky-based flakes, and enjoyed it a lot.
Jay, it's been a few years since I had Brown Irish X, but off the top of my head, the Brown No. 4 is pretty similar. I haven't had the black versions, but I believe they're toasted (at least the wrapper leaf), which gives it a different flavor

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Sounds appealing but as with bold Kentucky by Mc Barens, Petersons Irish and G&H Dark flakes I hardly can smoke them but only in smallish pipes due to nicotine hit, which is very sad because of I really like the initial base flavor of all these aforementioned blends,and specifically Irish Flake,now I feel this is even more ridiculous when I'm looking back to my earlier cigarette' years,to days when I mainly smoked strongest filterless cigarettes&Ryo and cigarillos found on the market, though never was a chain smoker' I do believe all comes with experience and years,so I'd believe I will be revisiting those blends in the future once again.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Brown No. % is a favorite of mine but you have to be sure theres something in your stomach before doking it. Set your tobacoo out to dry. Probably take a while. Depending on local humidity it could take quite a while.

Georgee's mixture ia very good.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
We romanticize the British working classes of the 19th century. The backbone of Empire they might have been, but their existence was bleak and even their pleasures questionable by modern standards. This stuff epitomizes the brutality of the age.
Damned near singed my nut hairs off, it did.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Yeah, yeah. The real guys that smoked this were 4 feet tall hunchbacked Welshmen (but I repeat myself) that died ot' stagnation oft' loong when they were thirty-five.
Ever wonder why he ended up governor of California?
Store bought muscles and a preference for the eingemachefrau.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
That first guy looks like a Welsh miner (minor) to me. Maybe he'll like your rope.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Brown #4 does age very well. Have some from about 10 years ago and it is covered in sugar crystals.
Jay - To me, Black XX tastes like leftover campfire ashes whereas #4 tastes like tobacco. #4 is stronger in my book as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.