PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Being housebound I do the majority of my shopping online and my preferred supplier of bottled ales is Asda which is part of the American giant Walmart Group.
As I have it delivered it makes sense to buy in bulk, usually about thirty bottles per purchase and though they have a reasonable range, I tend to go for what I know I like which is well hopped bottle conditioned ales.
Last week however I was going over their list and I spied a newcomer to their offerings...Samuel Adams 'Rebel IPA'. I read a little about it, "citrus hoppy with deep malt aftertaste' and at 6.5% ABV it was right up my street so I took a punt and ordered four bottles for £6.
It was only upon arrival that I realised it was an American beer, brewed I believe in Boston. This really is a belter of a beer and just as described, well hopped with a strong citrus flavour and malty undertones. I will certainly be ordering more of this gorgeous ale. My only misgivings are whereas most of my beers come in 500ml bottles, Rebel IPA comes in 355ml bottles.
Now I can sup on Yankee ale whilst smoking Yankee tobacco when listening to Joe Bonamassa :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Sam Adams is brewed at several places in the USA. One of their larger facilities is near me here in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania. They have an extensive list of offerings from the pedestrian to the exotic Utopias which can sell for a few hundred US$ per bottle.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Also, at least some of the Sam Adams beers are brewed here in the UK under licence by Shepherd Neame (my personal favourite brewer)
Mike

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I checked the bottle Mike and it specifically states "Product Of USA" along with "Imported By Shepherd Neame".
Shepherd Neame's Indian Pale Ale is a favourite of mine by the way. Shepherd Neame also brew all of Asda's 'Special' range of beers.
Interestingly Asda has another American ale 'Shipyard Brewing Company American IPA' which on reading the small print states it as being brewed by Marston's!
Along with my order I bought 12 bottles of my favourite beer of all time, Timothy Taylor's 'Landlord' but was a little disappointed as I've only ever had it draught and bottled is nothing like it.
Regards,
Jay.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
It took us Yanks only 200 years or so to take an interest in making good quality beers/ales... better late than never :D

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Jay .. there is a blonde Sam Adams beer currently in Morrisons which is definitely brewed by Shepherds Neame. It looks as though they have a pretty substantial tie-up to provide the UK market, with some brewed here and others imported. My own favourites tend to be clerical: Bishop's Finger (SN) or Abbot's Ale are particular favourites.
Mike

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Bishop's Finger is another regular of mine. As for Abbot's Ale I'm not too keen on it bottled. Some years ago I lived in Suffolk (Lavenham, Long Melford, Sudbury, Aldeburgh) and Abbot Ale on draught was one of my favourites. Their IPA was pretty decent too.
I even did a tour of the Greene King brewery in Bury St. Edmunds but my memories of the visit are somewhat vague now :oops:
Regards,
Jay.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have been grooving on Sam Adams Octoberfest for a few weeks now.
Nice "middle of the road" brew. Not really light, not really dark.
jay-roger.jpg

Dec 28, 2015
^Octoberfest is indeed a nice middle of the road everyday beer. Always nice when this time of year comes around.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I would normally only drink Moosehead Pale Ale or Coors Light (Canadian) but broke down and gave this a try. I admit it was a decision based only on the commercial but turned out to be good one.
Sleeman-Railside-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.