PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With rare fine tobaccos as with the finest vintage wines or single malt Scotch, etc., I think it requires some clearing of the mind and reining in the expectations. Otherwise, you might taste what you hope to taste, or not taste much at all. Good experiences tend to slip in the side door. Some of the better alcohol buzz I've had has been with totally ordinary beverages, but the company was prime. I've had some great smokes with improvised mixes of premium but not extraordinary pipe tobacco. If you were planning to taste a blend you thought was extraordinarily good, other than packing the pipe and lighting it, would you prepare yourself in any way. Clear your mind, or focus it?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sometimes! It's a nice anticipation every now and then, and it tends to get me focussed on the whole experience of smoking, rather than just doing it along with whatever else.
Other times, I may load the top 1/4 of the bowl with that special aged stuff, with a very good English underneath it.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
If I really want to gt a sense of a new blend or to really taste it, I tend to smoke with plain ice water, or maybe a plain sparkling water. I try to make sure I have enough time to be uninterrupted and minimize distractions, like reading anything that might get me fired up. That's what I did with cigars, and I do the same with pipe tobacco.
That is pretty rare, though. Normally, I just pack a bowl and fire away and over the course of a tin/pouch/bag I feel like I'll have a good feel for a blend and its nuances, or at the least, whether I like it enough to re-visit.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Usually when sampling a rare or old blend I'll just make sure I have a fresh palate. As in the first smoke of the day, or the only smoke of the day. YMMV. :wink:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I remember bring home my first bottle of expensive cognac. My wife and I decided to wait for a special occasion before opening it. We settled on when the first Ford drove by the house. It was well worth the five minute wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.