PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Many of you are like SG blends very much.
What's the secret?
I've tried Squadron Leader and Balkan Flake. As a lover of perique, I want to try SG St. James flake. But if I should waste money on another tin from SG, I don't know! I was very dissapinted with the previous procurements, so I obviously need some advise.
Both tobaccos were dripping wet and impossible to smoke directly from the tin. When I tried to dry them, SQL was ok. Too mild for me, but a well composed blend.

BF on the other hand, I never succeeded drying. Either too wet or too dry. The flakes became hard as briar when they dried out.
So advice me, please! The problem is most probably me, not the tobacco. However, the tin presentation was ugly and the flakes irregular and not pretty to the eye.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
They do tend to be on the moist side but their tobacco is top quality. Patience is key to enjoying the SG blends. One of my all tinme favorites is 1792 and I've learned that drying it out is very important. Grousemoor is another favorite but agian a little drying is key. So, they do require some work but in my opinion the reward is worht it. Good luck and just relax and enjoy what they have to offer.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
Both SQL and BF sound very different IMO to FVF and SJF. I have tried these last two and I was not disappointed. Drying is a must.

Dec 24, 2012
Proper drying is key. I had huge problems with FVF before I implemented a tip I discovered online and have never looked back.
When I open a tin of FVF, I will take about half the tin, spread the flakes on my tobacco cutting border and cube cut them all. I will make sure the flakes are spread evenly on the board and then let them dry for about an hour. This is the point at which I used to smoke them, but the problem is that wet hard-pressed flakes like FVF retain a great deal of moisture internally, even though the outside of the flake may appear to be at a proper smoking temperature. So, after I dry out the cubed flakes for an hour, I then put them in a large ziplock bag or a large mason jar (you want some oxygen in the bag or jar). I leave them there over night. During this time, the moisture in the flake equalizes throughout the flakes, with the internal moisture migrating to the exterior. The next day I take the cubes out of the storage medium and usually let them dry a bit longer if they still feel a bit damp for comfort. If it's still too moist you can even repeat the overnight process again.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Same theory as above ^. When I open the tin I dry the whole thing for and hour or two. Then I throw it in a jar for a couple days. After that dry and prepare as needed.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
SG flakes are without a doubt a major pain in the ass to dry out properly, but when you do, the flavors are worth the effort in my opinion. They are extremely high quality, age incredibly well, so for my tastes, my patience pays off big time.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I am glad I read this post. I have a couple of tins of FVF, and plan to open one when I get home in about a week.

It will be my first foray into SG blends. I have had 2 tins of FVF, some SQ, and a tin of Best Brown Flake in my locker for about 8 months. I decided to open one of the FVF and see what it's all about.

Jul 12, 2011
Agree, some of my favs; St James, Best Brown, 1792 & Bracken..I dry almost to a crisp/but at this stage they will put you on "cloud 9"

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
The only ones I really like are FVF, MVF, 1792, and Brown #4 FKT. If 1792 didn't taste so great, I am not sure I would put up with its unusually stubborn burning qualities. I have most success after a lot of drying and then I cut it into small cubes instead of the usual rubbing-out I do with flakes. Once it gets slow burning on those cubes, I find it easier to keep burning consistently. FVF and MVF are very easy to smoke as the more standard Virginia blends and they have a great flavor.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Harris is right on the money. BBF is superb. I also enjoy Balkan Flake very much. I'll pop the tin and let it sit 48-72 hours, then jar it. It's worth it.

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
I've never tried an SG blend that I didn't like and Grousemoore was my first tin. These guys are right, they take a fair bit of drying out, but it's definately worth it.

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
I'll just echo what some folks have said here. I'm a huge fan of SG tobaccos, FVF is currently on my list as 2nd favorite ever. But, that said, they are a royal pain in the rear. I have considered giving them up for easier to manage blends, but I just like them so much I'll probably maintain my foolishness.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have managed to tame the rubbery, tarry, overly moist FVF and St. James Flake using the Heat-It! craft tool.

In fact, the low velocity hot air blower is so practical in bringing the leaf to perfection, that I use it on almost every

blend I smoke! For these English flakes (Esoterica Stonehaven included) I dry the flake whole, then rub or cube cut.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
rigmedic1, I would suggest doing the following to your FVF as it is in my opinion the finickiest of the SG blends. Cube cut it into very small cubes. Let it dry out well, but not crispy. If you have a group 4 Dublin, try that pipe first, if not a Rhodesian, followed by an Apple. It took me a while experimenting with different shaped and sized pipes but I have found those work best for my tastes. Let us know how you make out.

puffinbilly

Lurker
Jul 26, 2013
Germany
Good evening gents,
You seem to be going to incredible lengths to dry out Samuel G’s tobacco. I don’t seem to have the problem. I love the Navy Flake and the Brown No.4 twist, the 1792 and Full Virginia flakes are also classic smokes. Sure they are moist compared to other flakes however, I can fold and load my flake from a freshly opened tin and perhaps have to re-light a couple of times but after a minute or two it burns fine. Perhaps because I am a clencher rather that a holder.

Do you find the quality of smoke gets appreciably better once the tobacco has been dried? If so I should, perhaps, give it a try.
Bill

samuel-gawith-navy-flake_zpsee52b238.jpg.html

Status
Not open for further replies.