PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have steered away from this tobacco as in general, I don’t like toppings. Finally ordered a tin as I do like SG in general. Received the tin today. Upon opening the tin, It was quite moist, I tore a couple of flakes in half length wise and let them dry for an hour and a half. I think a little more drying time would even be better.
Rubbed the flake out slightly into somewhat smaller pieces. Loaded easily and lit rather easily. The Tonquin bean topping was mildly evident early but wasn’t unpleasant in the least and faded well into the background rather quickly. The Virginia and Turkish leaf really compliments each other well and results in a rather spiced sweet flavor profile I found to be quite unique. Burned quite cool with no bite with just a few relights required. I consider the strength a bit less than medium with a mild to medium nicotine hit. I’m still not great at determining the nicotine level, I just know I found this satisfying but didn’t feel any effect at all from the nicotine.
I’ll smoke more of the tin before doing anything rash but I suspect I’ll be ordering more of this. I would think a couple of years of aging would make this even better.

Reactions: Scottmi

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I just got around to ordering a tin of this myself. I don’t know why I put it off for so long, I love everything I’ve tried from SG so far. It will be here tomorrow and now I’m looking forward to it after this nice review. Thanks’

Dec 28, 2015
I also opened my first tin of Sams Flake about a week ago. I think your description is spot on. I am really enjoying it.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Sounds right up my alley. I have a tin I should crack soon so I'll know if I should stock up or not. It used to be super hard to find, now it seems to linger when when other SG blends are sold out.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
If it wasn't for the tonkin bean I would probably love this blend. However my experience of 1792 Flake tells me the tonkin flavouring just isn't for me.
Regards,
Jay.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
If it wasn't for the tonkin bean I would probably love this blend. However my experience of 1792 Flake tells me the tonkin flavouring just isn't for me.
It might be the dark fired or whisky or the combination of flavors you're not enjoying in 1792. It's such a weird riot of flavors I think it would be hard to say. Tonquin is the vanilla-like top note. Comparing it to 1792 is one of the things that make me curious about Sam's.

piperay70

Lurker
Jan 25, 2015
Sam's Flake is good flake. Personally I don't mind Tonquin not in Sam's or in !792. Blends like Perfection has slight topping of Vanilla which can be pushy.

-Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.