PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeude28

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2016
Hello. Is it safe to leave salt alcohol in pipe for more then a day?? Also is a retort required if cleaning with salt alcohol?? I have searched threads regarding how long to leave in but found nothing.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Yes it is safe, in fact IMO leave it in for longer than 24 hrs, and repeat. I put some in a few pipes last year and then forgot, went on vacation. And they were fine. Also retorts, I dont use them but others swear by them. Personal preference.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Well there really is not a set number. The salt when drying will turn brown on top, I do mine until there is very little to no brown anymore. When I clean some estate pipe I got, I like to ream it good, dump cake and rinse with water (no it doesn't hurt it) briar was outside before it became a pipe. I have heard some leave cake in, so that might make a difference. But for me it usually takes 2 or 3 times.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Salt is used because it is not soluble in alcohol, and it traps the dissolved tars and resins released by the alcohol.

The downside, IMO, is that salt is a PITA to clear from the pipe after the treatment. Cotton balls will work just as well

as salt, and they make clean-up much easier.
Personally, having no ghosting problems, I have quit treating the bowl altogether, and now only swab the shank and stem with alcohol.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am trying to get rid of ghosting actually
Agree with the above, as many times as necessary. I personally use cotton balls as I've heard that salt can crack the bowl. In some cases though, cleaning the mortise with alcohol and a Q-tip, and cleaning the stem airway with alcohol and a pipe cleaner will do more for clearing a ghost than salt and alcohol in the chamber. Some ghosts can only be cleared by smoking them out.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've usually left them over night - but I keep enough alcohol in so the solution is more of a slurry. A year or so ago, I changed to only soaking for a few hours. Recently, listening to the Rob Cooper interview on the PipesMagazine Radio podcast, he made a similar comment and thought more time with the alcohol could do more damage than good.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Recently, listening to the Rob Cooper interview on the PipesMagazine Radio podcast, he made a similar comment and thought more time with the alcohol could do more damage than good."
That's interesting Al, did he give a reason for this?
Regards,
Jay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
He did, I can't recall his exact words and deleted the podcast a few months ago. It seemed in sync with my practices, so I continued. I made comment about it on the thread for that podcast, so it's here somewhere.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Cracked shanks due to salt treatment?? excerpts from above.
"Sanding chamber- starts with 100 grit up to 400. Then alcohol. Salt treatment only a couple of hours. Cracked shanks 'a result of over doing it'".
Agreed, BUT, if stem is left in, no danger to the shank over drying which could lead to cracking. I always leave stems in when doing salt treatments.
Now, however, since I started hot water rinses, I've had no need to do a salt treatment at all. Only on a new estate pipe now.

paddypiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I've accidentally left a pipe with salt in it for three days when I forgot I had started the salt treatment. Other than being a little salty the first few smokes I didn't have any real issues.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Repeat as many times till the Brown color disappears, use Kosher salt only, and retort should remove the Ghost. A good HOT water bath and scrub afterwards and you should be good to go

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I used to do salt/alcohol treatments and had only limited success, and have not even thought about doing another for years. Seems like overkill, now; but I suppose i'd try it again given a stubborn ghost. I'd much rather ream the pipe down to wood and smoke it a couple dozen times first.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Somewhere between a hot water rinse and a full on salt treatment is filling with damp coffee grounds and letting dry out a day or three.

May 4, 2015
When you do a water rise, are you submerging the whole stummel in hot water or just flushing the bowl and shank with running water?

Status
Not open for further replies.