PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
I was asked to crew a sailboat in a regatta series coming up. Don't know anything about sailing. Went to the captains meeting tonight and it's quite intimidating. Seriously, is there Rosetta Stone for sailing. It's a different language!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
is there Rosetta Stone for sailing. It's a different language!
I raced on the "Italia" a classic 8meter originally owned by Mussolini at a regatta in Sorrento Italy 3 years ago. At the time I spoke no Italian, they spoke no English...I rapidly learned the meaning of "Bastardo!!!"

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
Grew up around boats. Mostly smaller ones. I owned 13' Boston Whaler with a 40 hp Mercury when I was a 16. My dad had a 23' cabin cruiser, and a 16' Hobie. I always wanted to get into a larger monohull. Possibly a blue water boat. That dream has not happened yet. Maybe when I retire.

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
Deuce26, yes the sailboat language you will be hearing is a bit much at first but if your into sailing at all it'll come to you in no time. it's fun to learn where the meaning of these words came from. Like on a boat the bathroom is called a head because in the days of sail if a sailor had to do his business he would go to farthest point on the vessel so he was ahead of the ship. that's because in the day the wind would be coming from behind so one needed to be ahead so the fumes and what not would be ahead of the vessel. Yes I would not turn down this chance if I were you. Like pipe smoking sailing is an art of relaxation. There are those out there that call it work give it a try. Check out my new book Adventures of a Pipe Traveler, you and your sailing buddy's will find it entertaining. Dave

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Ahoy, permission to come onboard .
I hang out at the Memphis Yacht Club, Harbortown and McKellar Marinas, and frequent the Pickwick area on the Tennessee river, looking for a houseboat for the upcoming season, just haven't found the right vessel yet.
Smooth Sailing and Happy Boating all !
Tom

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
Buskirk, remember that searching for the right boat is half the fun. Before you buy make sure you get it survived and make sure the person doing this is not associated with the marina or seller. Be sure to check the hull to deck joint and gaskets on the out drives . If the boat your buying is in the water be sure to haul it out so you can inspect ALL of it. Wish I was down there with you as rummaging around boatyards is blast. Happy hunting. Pipetraveler

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Pipetraveler,
Sailing a Sabre 36 on Lake Champlain. Great sailing, gorgeous coves to drop the hook, great scenery, and good winds.....but the sailing season is so freakin short!!!!

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
4 noggins, I never made it to lake Champlain but I did sail on Lake George while I lived there for a year. I agree the season in the north is short but that's all we get so that means during sailing and boating season there will be no family reunions unless they take place on said boat, no cook out without being able to see water, unless required by work we shouldn't venture too far inland on account of we could get the shakes and other nasty health issues that landlubbers are inflicted with, unless you are going to a car show or something equally important. We must keep our minds focused on all things nautical during our season of tranquility, Take care, Pipetraveler P.S. I was able to inspect a C&C 37 from inside today. The price is right so I'm thinking with enough elbow grease and paint an varnish splash date could be mid May.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Did the 2010 Antigua Regatta, hell that was a lot of fun and a beautiful part of the world. Shout out to the royal anglesey yacht club.

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
Cool Beans, Anglesey, I enjoy reading about that regatta would like to participate one year. This summer I'll be happy just mucking about Lake Erie and a few trips to Put In Bay the Key West Of the North. Pipetraveler

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
just thought I'd tell all you sailors out there about a book I just read for the second time. North to the Night, about a couple who spend a year in Tay Bay by Alvah Simon this is a great book. $ noggins you might want to read this as it will make our weather seem warm. Tay Bay is in the Arctic, happy reading. Pipetraveler.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
We have a Grady White cuddy cabin fishing boat. Its a walk-around, and we use it almost daily in the summer...cruises to Long Island one day, shark fishing the next! A boat is the greatest toy a family can have! My fifth grader usually does the driving, they just use me to get her in the slip!

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
Yes sir aGrady White is nice boat. What yer sayin there mate is dat yer de captin in name only. You raised a fine bunch of pirates. Lol

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
The movie All is Lost is ok IF yer not a sailer. It was so beyond stupid I couldn't watch the whole movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.