PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Had to go to town, avoid it all the time. Pickup up papers to transfer Reg of Grandsons vecheile, he's staying with us while he goes to College in Lafayette. Dad got a permanent transfer to Baytown Tex. had to walk past Rememberance Wall in Plaza, wife's brother is on that wall as are a few of the Boys I went to school with. I got back in 64, married in late 65, he was killed in 66, wife was 5 months pregnant and I thought we would lose the baby. Met plane at airport, we unloaded the coffin, had a tense moment when Furneal Director didn't want to open coffin for me, he opened it, I wanted to see if Family could have an open casket. He had turned in flight, I turned him back, no chest. Just a metal plate, face was normal , we could have an open coffin. I called my first cousin who is a Dr and asked him to come to Furneal home and be ready for whatever wife needed. We buried him and in Sept I had a son. That's why I hate to go to town. God Bless America.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Brad, that's what real friends do. It makes me so angry when people bow out when the friendship becomes upsetting and requires some fortitude. Some people can't even go see a friend who is probably in their last days. What the hell good is a friend like that, no friend at all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wonder if doing something in town with a very different feel might help. Or maybe a commemorative but festive picnic in public space, so you might think of that first, before the harder aspects of this memory. Grief is tricky. Everyone has to find their own way with it, but it is shared by all.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeJtWtCg8v4
A solemn song -- rare for heavy metal bands -- which usually reduces its audience to silence.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Never easy thinking about good men laying in metal boxes. Cheers to you Brad, and God bless the brave souls that gave all.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
God Rest his Soul. You honored his memory and sacrifice the best way anyone could Bradly! You worked hard, respected GOD, and raised a wonderful family that carries on a love for our(and His) great country...

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Reliving those memories has to be hell. I know his family appreciates the kind of friend you were. And I appreciate your service to our country.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I can't imagine how hard that must have been either, sometimes the hurt and loss are always so,fresh with those we loved the most. Still as Jason said I'm very thankful for your service and that of your brother in law and childhood friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.