PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Lately, I've been dabbling in the world of RYO tobacco. And I found this grinder thingie the stoners seem to love (yes, I'm that out of the loop).
My question is, does it work well for pipe tobacco? I'm thinking you could get a uniform nice cut for the more messier blends.
I've never used (or even looked at) one of these grinders, so I don't know if it will make the tobacco too small.
RAW-4-Piece-Classic-Grinder-e1554229830325.png

jyrreb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2019
A couple months ago I came across a picture on Instagram of someone breaking up flakes using a grinder. The ribbon it produced looked so perfect I was tempted to buy one. I haven't tried it myself but would also love to hear someone's first hand experience.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
The type of grinder you are showing would turn the leaf into a very very fine powder. Probably like moist sawdust if you wanted an analogy. There may be one that does not grind things quite as fine as that one would. I know lots of people use an electric coffee grinder with good results. Also give you more control over the size of the grind.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Hmmm ... maybe you should just buy one and try it out. Then you can tell us how well it works. :mrgreen:

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Hmmm ... maybe you should just buy one and try it out. Then you can tell us how well it works. :mrgreen:
Yes, that would be the sensible solution. :puffy:
The thing is, in my town I can only get the cheap chinese knock offs. I would have to buy it online. And probably I will.

But it doesn't hurt to check with the pros first.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Guys, I have one. There are better solutions unless you want to make snuff. lol

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
I have one that has diamond shaped teeth. It works very well and the finished cut is little cube cut flakes. Ground flakes come out very similar to rubbed out war horse bar. Razor wire is the brand I believe. Works great for ropes too.

Edit: Teeth look the same as the one pictured.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The one I use is made of wood, and instead of teeth has what look like nails inside each half. A few twists turns flake into a perfect ribbon cut.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife gave me a little hand grinder in a draw-string bag in a box. I didn't think of it as as a stoner thing, but I will say it works nicely for small quantities, a bowl or three at a time, for flake, coin, plug or rope, when you want an even burn or to mix it with other fine cut leaf. My only experience is with tobacco.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
This. Is interesting to me because I have some cured tobacco leaves and I’ve just been crumpling up and sticking in my pipe from time to time. They smoke, I dump the ash on my plants and they’re tax free! Still, I wonder how it would be if I shredded them up a bit.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Guys, I have one. There are better solutions unless you want to make snuff. lol
I have one too. Works perfectly.
20190510_0218111.jpg

This. Is interesting to me because I have some cured tobacco leaves and I’ve just been crumpling up and sticking in my pipe from time to time.
You want one of these.
https://youtu.be/NIc_b8NkqNU

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Yes, they work just fine for flakes...better have some decent wrist co-ordination as you twist it back and forth comes out just the way you would want it for smoking in small/tall pipes or wide pot shaped pipes. The pieces are pretty small so if you have a wide open draw you may get a few particles in the stem/shank.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mine does not grind the leaf into dust or snuff at all. The pieces are smaller-cut loose tobacco, but not tiny pieces at all. The grinder has teeth on the top and bottom and will grind more or less, as you wish. I usually grind up about three pipe bowls worth, and the drying time for the extra bowls is all to the good, makes for a nice even burn.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You who use a grinder are all blasphemers. If you want lowly ribbon cuts, just buy them. Don't take a perfectly good flake and desecrate it in a grinder. The pipe gods are watching.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mine does not grind the leaf into dust or snuff at all.
Same. I've tried to grind it to dust just to see if it would and never got any finer that pictured above.

Those grinders mentioned are just small versions of this...

s-l225.jpg

I have seen guys using those small pocket grinders for rope and flakes. But, when I want to grind down a pipe tobacco, I use an electric coffee grinder that I have dedicated to it. There is a member of our pipe club, a surgeon , that uses one to grind down his flakes. He turned me onto it. There is something different about grinding down a flake, verses just using ribbon. The flake process adds a different type of aging to the tobacco, and the burn of smaller pieces makes smoking it much easier. But, I don't do this very often, just when I want something different. Mostly I will cube cut an entire tin of flakes or plugs when I open it, and then dry it down slowly to my perfect level of dryness. But, giving it a whirl in the grinder gives me that something different that I am looking for when I want a more even burn but with the taste of aged flake. But, then sometimes I will fold and stuff, but I have to have my hands free for smoking flakes like that. YMMV

I can get the tobacco rather fine by using an electric grinder, but I have to just grind it for a long time, with very sharp blades. But, it is more snus or "dip" sized chunks, not exactly powder. I'd be interested in how I could get the tobacco ground down that fine as snuff. I use some of it in the barn as a pesticide, and grinding it that fine would be a handy thing to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.