PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flippinbird87

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2012
I have just recently came back to pipes after two years and I must say I am very RUSTY! For some reason I cannot smoke a pipe without scorching my hands with my bowl and can barely taste my tobacco. I am probably going to have to re-learn everything. Has anyone who had returned to pipe smoking have had this problem? Any tips to speed up the process of getting back into the swing of things? I feel a little awkward with these questions for some reason...

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I came back after 40yrs, it's like ridding a bike, don"t over think it , take time for a slow smoke, packing the pipe is real important, your tobbaco may be a hot burner, you may want to try the old codger tobbacos like carter hall or prince Albert, they smoke cool the old cajun

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Try giving the videos in the left column a good viewing.

They are located in the Featured Articles section.

Just scroll down a bit.
There is a ton of useful information there to help you brush off the rust.
Welcome aboard!

:puffy:

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Cig smokes always smoke a pipe to fast and that is what makes the pipe hot usually.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Welcome !
No awkward questions here as long as we stay away from personal hygiene stuff :oops:
Has anyone who had returned to pipe smoking have had this problem?
Yep
Any tips to speed up the process
Nope :rofl:
Just take your time and don't get frustrated. I came back to the pipe after about a 20 year hiatus (drat.. writing this makes me feel old ;-) ). I'd say it took me about 6 months or so to get the hang of it again. Now, about 2 years or so back smoking pipes daily, I can grab my pouch, stuff and puff and keep the pipe going, enjoying the flavors, getting the relaxation I associated with pipe smoking, etc... It all becomes quite natural again. I'm actually more and more craving to smoke a pipe than to smoke cigs. There's hope for me yet :puffy:
Hang in there, don't get frustrated, look at the videos Lawrence mentioned and practice, practice, practice.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome back.
If you are burning you hands, I have to wonder what you are using to light your pipe. I use kitchen matches and never have that problem.

flippinbird87

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2012
Thank you all for the great responses. I have viewed the videos and read the articles and they have helped a great deal in reminding me on how to pack, clean etc etc. Like some of you said, I will have to take my time in learning again. Jud, I am using a colibri pipe lighter (with the soft flame not torch) but I will give the matches a go to see if they help. Although I think my main problem is that I may be puffing to hard subconsciously. Tbrad, I know where to get prince albert and other OTC brands and will also give those a try. Thanks again for all the suggestions and I will report back with my progress :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Flippin, I too returned to pipes after a hiatus and immediately had to slow down my smoking cadence. It took me a few bowls of burning my hand and tongue before I began to sip the pipe properly. The lighter is not the issue, it is most likely your packing and smoking. Do the three step pack and check the draw after each level. Once you get a good light( this is important, don't try and smoke a bowl that is half lit because you will draw too hard trying to get the flavor), just take it easy. Think about your cadence and if the pipe starts getting too warm, lay it down, let it cool off and begin again. That is the beauty of a pipe, you can lay it down and let it cool without losing flavor unlike a cigar. Once you pay attention enough, you will automatically start sipping again and it won't be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.