Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a band repair that I finished up last night for a fellow forum member. I will let him name himself, in case he doesn't like the repair. :wink: But, this was for a cracking shank, which needed a compression band. I mixed an ancient recipe for an alloy of copper and tin to make a nice bronze that will darken to a classy look. Used a mill to make it into a strip and then soldered it into a band. And, hand carved the rustication with burs.

I carved a dado for the band to slide onto and coated it with a nice layer of hard carnauba wax. Then froze the pipe in the freezer to shrink it, so the band would just slip on.

I think the rustication and color works well with this classy Canadian, IMO. For just tad more money than having a pre-made ultra thin band slid on, I think it classes up a nice pipe.

What do you think?
bands-repair1.jpg

bands-repair2.jpg

bands-repair3.jpg

If you should want a band, I can make almost any metal and any pattern, or make something really wild.

Jan 8, 2013
I think its awesome. It has a great, almost ancient look, and I'm sure it will only improve as it darkens. Amazing work cosmic, seriously.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Cosmic, you truly know what you're doing. Beautiful work!

I hate to compare it to my job on the Stanwell 939/410 I just posted. :oops: I'll definitely keep you in mind if I get a nice pipe that needs that kind of repair.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Cosmic
Well done. You were able to match the design with the burrs beautifully
Making your own bronze alloy is very impressive
Did you use silver solder to join the band?

Thank you again gentlemen.
@allen, I used copper-phosphorous to solder. It matches the color better and holds bronze better. Hard silver solder is too close to the melting point for bronze to get a good join with.
@agnostic, just saw your band. It looks great. The mother of invention... Actually, weren't the first military stems made with shell casing by soldiers in the trenches? Seems like I read that somewhere.
@shaintiques, let me know where you're ready. I'd love to design something with you.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I really like the way you rusticated that band. I also like the looks of brass,copper and bronze on some pipes.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
@allen, I used copper-phosphorous to solder. It matches the color better and holds bronze better. Hard silver solder is too close to the melting point for bronze to get a good join with.
That is amazing. I've never heard of that.
I thought I knew everything jewelry. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.